VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was expecting an ASR button in my new GLI but it's got an ESP button instead. From what I've read, ABS, ASR and ELP (I think ELP is right...the anti-lock thing) are all part of the system called ESP...electronic stability program. Maybe I have this all wrong but is this maybe why there is an ESP button cause it turns off ASR and possibly other stuff too?

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Re: Why do some MK4s have ASR buttons and some have ESP (truckasaurus)

ive noticed that esp buttons are on newer mk4s whilst olders ones have the asr. maybe its the same thing, just a replacement?

·
Registered
315 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]I was expecting an ASR button in my new GLI but it's got an ESP button instead. From what I've read, ABS, ASR and ELP (I think ELP is right...the anti-lock thing) are all part of the system called ESP...electronic stability program. Maybe I have this all wrong but is this maybe why there is an ESP button cause it turns off ASR and possibly other stuff too? [HR][/HR]​
Don't know about the US, but in Europe ASR (antriebs-schlupf regelung = anti-slip/spin) is standard on models with some power and ESP (electronic stability program) is an option which you have to pay for...

·
Registered
1,402 Posts

I believe that the 1.8t's have ASR and the VR6's have ESP. the ASR keeps the wheels from spinning and the ESP is suposed to keep the nose heavy cars from sliding.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Re: Why do some MK4s have ASR buttons and some have ESP (Anthrax)

I don't have either...
Stupid GL...

Oh well.. 2.0LT = better than loaded VR6 with ASR.

·
25,071 Posts
Re: Why do some MK4s have ASR buttons and some have ESP (Varsix)

Beetle Turbo S's were the first North American VW's with ESP, GLi's will get it as well as 24v GTi's. It basically applies individual brakes to prevent skids, as well as retarding the throttle. Basically everything that ASR and ABS do but on a preventative level.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts

ASR = Anti Slip Regulation
it is just the feature that is traction control
ESP is on 24v VR6s (hence newer ones)..... it has a yaw sensor, steering wheel angle sensor, and lots of other sensors that basically keep your tires in a controlled contact with the road, which keeps you safe

VWVortex posted a whole article about it: http://www.vwvortex.com/news/02_00/02_11_00/index.shtml
hope that helps

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Re: Why do some MK4s have ASR buttons and some have ESP (rs4-380)

quote:[HR][/HR]Beetle Turbo S's were the first North American VW's with ESP, GLi's will get it as well as 24v GTi's. It basically applies individual brakes to prevent skids, as well as retarding the throttle. Basically everything that ASR and ABS do but on a preventative level.[HR][/HR]​
Believe it or not the Eurovan was the first VW in the US with ESP. It was also the first with the 24v VR6. Scary that the van was the high tech leader of the line-up for a while.
-Chris

·
Registered
253 Posts
Re: Why do some MK4s have ASR buttons and some have ESP (cloink)

quote:[HR][/HR]
Don't know about the US, but in Europe ASR (antriebs-schlupf regelung = anti-slip/spin) is standard on models...[HR][/HR]​
Hehehe.. I guess they couldn't have translated that one...

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Re: Why do some MK4s have ASR buttons and some have ESP (mr911sc)

think of ESP as Electronic STEERING program instead of Stability.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Re: Why do some MK4s have ASR buttons and some have ESP (prana)

To be more precise:
ESP = ABS + EBV + ASR + EDS
Gotta love abbr.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So basically I should just keep it turned on all the time unless I want to peel out. I did notice when I got the wheels to spin (with it on) that the indicator by the speedo came on. I was reading how it controls breaking and throttle in different cases of oversteer/understeer...kinda cool. It's like the warning thingy in planes when you're gonna crash....pull up..pull up...terrain...terrain!! hehe!!

[Modified by truckasaurus, 2:49 AM 6-4-2002]

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Re: Why do some MK4s have ASR buttons and some have ESP (brent0226)

oooooh. Nice..this could come in handy...too bad I don't have it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts