VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone elses sound like this? It sounds like gurgling water and hollow. Weird noise!!! It's been like that for a while now.
No CELs but seems like a very slight loss in power

[Modified by dknl, 2:52 PM 2-6-2003]

·
Registered
778 Posts
Re: why does my 1.8t sound like it's gurgling water????? (dknl)

i work on honda's so this may not apply but if it is a hollow gurgling water sound that seems like it's coming from behind you're dash close to your fire wall it is your thermostat opening and all of the coolant rushing into the coolant gallery's in the engine and heater core. hope this helps

·
Registered
2,022 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Anyone elses sound like this? It sounds like gurgling water and hollow. Weird noise!!! It's been like that for a while now.

[Modified by dknl, 2:52 PM 2-6-2003][HR][/HR]​
More info... Does it do it when off or on... If on, while accelerating, it is almost quaranteed to be your Water Pump!!!

·
Registered
778 Posts
Re: why does my 1.8t sound like it's gurgling water????? (turbomania)

well if it's the same noise people female puppy dog about in the honda's i work on, no it's not a bad noise it's a normal. Just you're coolant circulating in your coolant gallery's and heater core, kind like pooring a glass of water into another glass of water. Don't worry about it.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Re: why does my 1.8t sound like it's gurgling water????? (Bboble)

quote:[HR][/HR]They may make noise and work... Like maybe the bearing is making noise or something... Had it happend to me on my Passat!!![HR][/HR]​
did your passat have an internal, or external water pump?

·
Banned
13,716 Posts

I get a very similar sound. It occurs when the car is on boost, but I shift in the 2500-3000 range.
Sounds like gurgling water as well. No CEL's, I asked 3 diff places about it during oil changes.
They all said it's normal. <shrug> I never believed them...
So I don't really know what it
is, but I would like to.
DV???

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Re: why does my 1.8t sound like it's gurgling water????? (01silverGTI)

That I don't know... It is a B5 2.8L 30V V6!!!
Anyone know??? Might be exterior, what exactly is the difference???
quote:[HR][/HR]They may make noise and work... Like maybe the bearing is making noise or something... Had it happend to me on my Passat!!!did your passat have an internal, or external water pump?[HR][/HR]​

·
Registered
1,249 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Anyone elses sound like this? It sounds like gurgling water and hollow. Weird noise!!! It's been like that for a while now.

[Modified by dknl, 2:52 PM 2-6-2003][HR][/HR]​
how long does this gurgling sound last?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]That I don't know... It is a B5 2.8L 30V V6!!!
Anyone know??? Might be exterior, what exactly is the difference???
They may make noise and work... Like maybe the bearing is making noise or something... Had it happend to me on my Passat!!!did your passat have an internal, or external water pump?[HR][/HR]​
just that an external pump is easier to hear sounds on. i have never heard a water pump gurgle. i have heard a loud squeal when the bearings go out, but never a gurgle. basically, water pumps don't intermittentally work, they usually just stop, and that's it.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

thanks for all the responses, haven't had time to check out the responses till now. Yeah, the sound happens the entire time accelerating. The sound is very hard to discribe. It sound like that "durr" sound some people talk of but then again not really. The best I can describe it is imagine pressing the gas and getting a sound like you're boiling water in an old kettle..not the whistling sound....just the gurgling of boiling water. It's def from underneath the hood. Been told it's the injectors by the dealership but I Know injectors don't sound like that. That injector sound is another annoying problem. I've never heard a car that makes so much noise especially a new car!!!
How can I check the water pump? What other signs of a failing water pump. Could it be the DV making this noise instead of a "honking" like others hear when it's about to fail??? Thinking this becuz I've also got that OTHER PROBLEM once in a while of hesitation when accelerating as if I let go of the gas abruptly.
PROBS PROBS PROBS!!!!!

dk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.