VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been playing with this car for months, and it just doesn't feel like it is running good. Its a 1991 Digifant Jetta 8v. It feels like it is hauling a very heavy trailer around. I can make it backfire between gears. All timing is dead on...very certain of it. I have no friends with this setup so I can't compare it to another ride. Give me some suggestions that may need attending to. Me and some friends have picked at it numerous times, and it still just seems numb. maybe that is the nature of the beast, but i doubt it. TIA http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
Re: why does my 91 digifant feel so numb??? (forced fed)

Backfire is most likely is caused by one or more of these.
Poor fuel ratio, valve timming, Burnt / sticking exaust valves, broken exaust valve spring, ignition timming, crossed ignition wires.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: why does my 91 digifant feel so numb??? (gearhead455)

fuel ratio...mint
valve timing.... mint
Burnt/stickeing exhaust valves....that very well could be!!
broken valve spring....i wouldnt doubt it!!
ignition timing...mint
ignition wires....mint
When I got the car it didn't run, so i tried all kinds of stuff. Most of it was do to broken ground wires AND A PLUGED CAT.!!!!! It actually blew the down pipe off I tried so hard, so it could very well have busted E. valves
Thanks gearhead!!!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Re: why does my 91 digifant feel so numb??? (forced fed)

You did use the very weird, Digifant specific method to adjust the ignition timing right? It has to be set/checked with the engine at 2300 rpm. See this post for the full procedure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts