hasn't until recently. does my VW not like me anymore? i got a big shock on my finger a few days ago. left a bit of a wound on my finger. hurt like hell. sometimes i can see the spark. hope i dont burn down a petrol station
mine does it all the time..... its the whole static electricity thing going on...... kinda like when u walk w/ some socks accross carpet and then touch something...... its like that only ur rubbin ur butt across the seat while u drive..... then when u get out and ground urself..... u get shocked....
ps-make sure u ground urself BEFORE u touch the gas handle and no probs........
It is recaros, well... mostly, base seats can do it too. But Recaro's and other non-leather, well made (thus well-surrounding seats) grip your body better and thus you build up static more and when you pull out of the car you build up all that static as you are pulling out and if you are not touching the car as you are doing it, you discharge as you shut the door and thus the spark. Check it out, if you hold a piece of metal the whole time you will not spark at all because you are grounding as you accumualate the charge. Also, if you do not believe me about it not having to do with your battery, disconnect it and try it (if you really wanna go so far), electricity does not work that way and you will be shocked the same way you always do.
All you have to do is remember to be barely touching something until you are fully out of your seat and you are clear. Also remember to do so before you pump your gas and you are fine. Enjoy!
(Edit : I didn't see the post right above mine, he pretty much summed most of this up there... hehe)
Re: why does my VW give me a shock everytime i step out of the car? (Eric D)
yeah it has to do with the tire not grounding the static electricity, some tiers are worse than the others. some manifactuers put, i believe i read about goodyear, imbedded a tiny strip of a certain material to touch the gournd through the tire to lessen the shock, as the compound the rest of the tire was made out of was quite... shocking.
Just hold on to like the top of the door (or any other metal) while getting out of your car and your fine.
I've heard that you can rubb your seats with "rinsing agent/fluid" pr what it's called. You know the liquid you pour into your washing machine to make your clothes soft and sh*t. Rubb that into your seats and the static electricity should disapear. Just what I've heard, but I'd go with holding on the the metal on the door while getting out of your car.
A forum community dedicated to all Volkswagen owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about performance, builds, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, maintenance, new releases, and more!