VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Banned
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man how come we always get the goodies much later than the Americans?
I'd pay the US$ 9.99 monthly fee for over 170 stations that XM offers. The local radio stations kinda suck http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

· Registered
3,070 Posts
Re: Why don't we get XM Radio? (KARMANN_16V)

Because we have a different regulation body - CRTC. Plus our music is licensed through a different body, that's why we don't get iTunes here.

Modified by climacus at 5:11 PM 1-13-2004

· Registered
398 Posts
Re: Why don't we get XM Radio? (KARMANN_16V)

Yep, good old Canadian concent regulations. You'll notice it on most radio stations that they will go out of their way to play mediocre Canadian bands while not playing good American stuff as much.
I guess it's good for Canadian bands struggling to make it but if those same laws prevent us from getting awesome stuff like XM and Sirius, they suck.

· Registered
5,073 Posts
Because we as Canadians are smart enough not to pay for what we can get for free.

· Registered
5,941 Posts
Re: (Sawdust)

You think we have bad stations in this area? Ha! Trek up to ottawa area... absolutely no selection for music. I think the Niagara region has the best selection because we get US signals and most of all TO stations.
Optimally XM radio would be great, but like DirectTV i wouldnt pay for it.

· Registered
4,610 Posts
Re: (pubahs)

I use to love driving down to Windsor for the weekend with the girlfriend (now my wife). You'd get all the good Detroit station and London had some pretty good ones too http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
1,252 Posts
Re: (jay_vw)

Yeah, it's kinda a grey market thing. Some places will help set you up in Canada. It does have to do with Can-con (canadian content). Like stated earlier, a certain percentage of all broadcast during peak hours has to be of canadian origin. Some places can get away with partial credits of canadian producers, etc, but for the most part it is canadian bands. I really wonder how good XM is, though...never bothered to try...I think you can try some of their stations online if I am correct.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.