VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i was reading through Inside Line's long term test fleet, and two things struck me as troublesome.
First the 'gap' between the headliner and the sunshade in the Ford Flex. Ford has done some half-arsed things, but the shade in question is typical construction. It's like that in my Fusion, and several others have noted it as well in other Ford vehicles. When shut it keeps out noise, sunlight and it doesn't rattle. You cannot see the track or any exposed wiring. In fact unless you are looking for it, it's barely noticeable.
I guess my beef here is the increased nit picking, and backhanded commentary coming from the folks up in Santa Monica. Here's a link to the post in question..
http://blogs.edmunds.com/roadt....html
On top of that, the same editor made this comment regarding their long term M3's ability to decipher the oil level in the vehicle:
Quote »
And now all the domestic fanboys can tell me why it isn't.

http://blogs.edmunds.com/roadt....html
C'mon now.

·
Banned
10,159 Posts
Re: Why Edmunds is Only Good for Vehicle Research.....Not their Opinion (bleedblue)

Is that normal? Is it not normal?
I don't know, I've never even looked at the headliner in a vehicle, and I don't think many other NORMAL people have.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Re: Why Edmunds is Only Good for Vehicle Research.....Not their Opinion (Jetty!)

Nit-picking is there thing though, its what they do best. Especially with fords, and chev's, but thats because the craftsmanship on fords especially leaves so much to be desired.
My family had a rental ford fuzion in NJ, and I had a rental ford focus when i totalled my GTI. They were the two cheapest feeling cars, i have ever sat in. If the nit-picking bothers you, just dont listen to edmunds.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Why Edmunds is Only Good for Vehicle Research.....Not their Opinion (02GTIFREESKIER)

Quote, originally posted by 02GTIFREESKIER »
Nit-picking is there thing though, its what they do best. Especially with fords, and chev's, but thats because the craftsmanship on fords especially leaves so much to be desired.
My family had a rental ford fuzion in NJ, and I had a rental ford focus when i totalled my GTI. They were the two cheapest feeling cars, i have ever sat in. If the nit-picking bothers you, just dont listen to edmunds.

Yeah, because Ford builds some horribly assembled vehicles these days. Go find another thread to troll it up in

·
Registered
13,591 Posts
FV-QR

I agree it's silly, but on long term tests they do tend to nitpick. They've found similar silly little issues w/ their long-term S5, G8 and Genesis FWIW.
With that said, Scott Oldham needs to stop his flame baiting antics. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

Modified by jwaters943 at 7:29 PM 7-7-2009

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
Re: Why Edmunds is Only Good for Vehicle Research.....Not their Opinion (Jetty!)

Quote, originally posted by Jetty! »
Wow, sunroof shade gap. That's what we're really worried about nowadays?

I don't fault automotive journalists from being as descriptive as possible about vehicles.

·
Registered
13,591 Posts
Re: Why Edmunds is Only Good for Vehicle Research.....Not their Opinion (bleedblue)

Quote, originally posted by bleedblue »

Yeah, because Ford builds some horribly assembled vehicles these days. Go find another thread to troll it up in

I'm still trying to figure out what a Fuzion is.

·
Banned
37 Posts
Re: Why Edmunds is Only Good for Vehicle Research.....Not their Opinion (jwaters943)

Aside from the nitpicking of the sunroof thing, I'm surprised by the arrogance and "flamebaiting." Not what I'd expect from any major publication, whether auto-related or not.
Whatever. I would still hit the Ford Flex so hard the earth would tremble.

·
Registered
18,581 Posts
Re: Why Edmunds is Only Good for Vehicle Research.....Not their Opinion (fsuhorizon)

Quote, originally posted by fsuhorizon »

I don't fault automotive journalists from being as descriptive as possible about vehicles.

True, but it's nothing to get up in arms about.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Why Edmunds is Only Good for Vehicle Research.....Not their Opinion (fsuhorizon)

Quote, originally posted by fsuhorizon »

That's ridiculous. And to create not one but two updates for the same thing? Seriously I didn't even notice it was like that in my Fusion up until now.

·
Registered
87,846 Posts
Oh, it's just on the blog. That's so 2007.... who reads those now?

Seriously- blogs are where you post daily thoughts. It doesn't mean they are intelligent well thought out revelations. Frankly- I have found design and assembly issues with every vehicle I have driven- including German and Japanese models.
And honestly- the fact that this person is posting about a sunshade shows the car is lacking in serious issues. You must be a bored individual to take a picture and post regarding a sunroof shade gap.

·
Registered
87,846 Posts
From the comments on that blog page:
"I understand where you're coming from, but if it doesn't rattle, let light through, and feel "loose" when you slide it, personally I would have no problem with it."

And on that note- the Flex's roof is very flat. There is NO cabin arc there. So the shade needs some type of arc for strength- and to keep it from resonating. Either that- or it gets some heavy reinforcements. But they could have made some arched ribs and kept the main shade flat. Still, the design does make sense when you look at how other sunroof shades can be curved with the headliner arc.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Re: (WakeHead)

I actually really enjoy everything on Edmunds and check InsideLine daily. I think its a well rounded site, and is updated daily with relevant and noteworthy car events in the industry.

·
Registered
87,846 Posts
Re: (vdubbug)

Quote, originally posted by vdubbug »
I actually really enjoy everything on Edmunds and check InsideLine daily. I think its a well rounded site, and is updated daily with relevant and noteworthy car events in the industry.

You trying to get a job there?
I don't think any of their editors read this forum.

·
Banned
20,046 Posts
Edmunds writers are people who amazingly couldn't write crap for C&D....
It reads like a bunch of guys who didn't get any ass in college or after college and were at home sharing a bong writing about toaster oven reviews and someones mom got a new Lancer and they decided to begin writing car reviews.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Re: (1SICKLEX)

Quote, originally posted by 1SICKLEX »
Edmunds writers are people who amazingly couldn't write crap for C&D....
It reads like a bunch of guys who didn't get any ass in college or after college and were at home sharing a bong writing about toaster oven reviews and someones mom got a new Lancer and they decided to begin writing car reviews.

And they are still better than the competition because they actually drive and test cars. Other blogs just copy and paste.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.