VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
gti's are the worst built cars ever. aside from a rear light bulb that was missing when i first got it, or the creaks, like the one i had to get fixed in the sunroof, and aside from the water leaking into my rear floor from a huge hole in my firewall the dealer couldn't find until the 5th time i brought it there, and also aside from my emissions light coming on and having to bring it in to get it checked out, and yeah, aside from all that, i honked my horn for the first time not realizing that the steering wheel is pretty hollow and now there's a huge crease along the center of my wheel and the airbag light came on. how sad is that?? now i gotta bring it in again. the dealer should give me a frequent visitor card so i could maybe get something free after a certain number of visits. geez, based on the amount of times i went to the dealer, i should get a free car by now.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Re: why gti? why??? (flybri)

quote:[HR][/HR] geez, based on the amount of times i went to the dealer, i should get a free car by now.[HR][/HR]​
How many times have you brought it in for the same problem and have it documented each time? Wouldnt the lemon law come in effect?

Dave

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: why gti? why??? (-=VdubGuY=-)

it's a 2001. i got it in january. it's got about 14000 miles right now. no, the lemon law won't come into effect. it has to be one certain problem that you take it in for and if it's not fixed after over four times, then it's a lemon. i brought it in four times for the hole and they really didn't attempt to fix it. Then the fifth time i brought it in, representatives from volkswagon were involved and they really made the attempt to fix it. so yeah, the lemon law doesn't work for stupid little problems that are fixable.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts

Oh damn, sorry. I dont know what to say. I just finally got into the A4 class. I have always driven A3's. I only got my GTi 2 weeks ago, so I am still yet to experiance the common problems I read here.
Dave

·
Registered
10,725 Posts

well...my car does disappoint me on some fronts too...
if it weren't for the turbo engine, german 'feel', less prone to theft, and the nice large interior (and also the cool company image
), i woudln't have brought it. seriously.
hearing all these horror reliability stories here on the vortex scares me to start my car cold in the mornin.
but i'm still sure VWs are more reliable then most products from GM/ford/chrysler...

[Modified by BananaCo, 8:58 PM 11-29-2001]

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Re: why gti? why??? (BananaCo)

The handling, the engine (1.8T), the euro feel to it, the interior, VWVortex, the luxury for less $$$, should I go on ?
J-F

·
Registered
563 Posts
Re: why gti? why??? (BananaCo)

quote:[HR][/HR]well...my car does disappoint me on some fronts too...
if it weren't for the turbo engine, german 'feel', less prone to theft, and the nice large interior (and also the cool company image
), i woudln't have brought it. seriously.
hearing all these horror reliability stories here on the vortex scares me to start my car cold in the mornin.
but i'm still sure VWs are more reliable then most products from GM/ford/chrysler...

Dont let it get to you. I used to freak my self out reading this stuff too. People usually only post the bad stuff.

[Modified by BananaCo, 8:58 PM 11-29-2001][HR][/HR]​

·
Registered
573 Posts
Re: why gti? why??? (krakboi)

Sure, we read about problems with the VWs here, but it doesn't mean that ALL people experience these problems.
Every car, and every manufacturer has problems. Look at BMW...no longer "bimmers," but "bummers." They've had recall after recall as of late. The latest being the M3 because they are having major engine problems. Remember the engine fires too? It seems that BMW has sacrificed quality for quantity. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif
How about Porsche? Porsche motors eat up quart after quart of oil!
Now THAT can't be good!
Audi A6....I hear they're real winners. Better get your AAA card from what I hear.http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif
Aside from just German manufacturers, try visiting the boards of the Japanese manufacturers. You will see just as many people talking about their problems as well.
Look at Consumer Reports. We'll use the Camaro as an example. They talk about what garbage it is. Guess what. I haven't had problems with mine until recently....130K on the clock. These cars are stricken as unreliable because people beat the piss out of them, then bitch to Consumer Reports that their car is a piece of crap.
Fact: According to studies, if you have a poor experience, you will tell 20 people. If you have a good one, you will tell 5 people.
Each car has its faults. It doesn't matter if it's a Toyota, Geo, Suzuki, Kia, Hyundai, Benz, VW, Audi, Lambo, Ferrari, Chevy, Chrysler, Ford, blah blah blah. People bitch about their problems with their cars.
Fact: Did you know that every car comes with AT LEAST 1% of defective parts? A car has over 15,000 parts. Guess what that means. That means that each car comes with 150 defective parts.

·
Registered
10,725 Posts
Re: why gti? why??? (Dan Oldham)

DanOldham, excellent post
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

[Modified by BananaCo, 9:24 AM 11-30-2001]

·
Registered
3,861 Posts

Wow, you sure are gonna be p!ssed when your windows fall down!
-Imp

·
Registered
6,920 Posts
Re: why gti? why??? (Dan Oldham)

I've had my car since late December 2000 (it's a 2001 Jetta 2.0 GL). It just passed 12000 miles on Tuesday. I have had almost zero problems with it, minus a couple minor things like my passenger door creaking (damn that was annoying). Yes it consumes oil, but that's not a huge problem. A quart of oil every month or so isn't that big of a deal.
As of late, I've been getting a clunking sound when starting it up, and haven't been able to attribute it to anything. The dealer can find it I'm sure. But that will be the first unscheduled trip to a dealer I've ever had to make with my car.

Personally, I've been very happy with my car. It's been very reliable, and hasn't given me any issues. Of course, my last car was a 1987 Dodge Aires, so this was a serious step up in quality.
Tim

·
Registered
1,371 Posts

im sorry to hear that.. but i have had my gti for about a year and half and no real major problems except for the mass airflow censor (knock on wood)... and i dont think the gti is all that bad.. i love mine

·
Registered
13,712 Posts
Re: why gti? why??? (old school A2)

I don't know, I had an 89 Cabriolet with 120k on it when I bought it and drove the hell out of it for 20k, never had a problem. Bought my GTI, It now has 9000 chipped miles, 9600 total, I auto-cross it alot, rev it up all the time and generally drive it really hard, and I don't have one problem. My GTI was bought in July, I've taken the interior apart and put it back together multiple times and nothing squeeks or rattles. You guys have to realise that not every car produced is going to be perfect, that is impossible. You're always gonna have a car that has defects, if it bothers you so much sell it.
Mike

1 - 17 of 17 Posts