VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if the streets are cleared out fast enough, why would bigger rims be a problem?
Thanks people!

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Re: Why is it bad to have 17" or higher rims on during the winter?? (albuht)

i dont think it would be a problem, but people replace their aftermarket rims/tires because they are nice and they wear faster in the snow and winter, so they put on the stock one, because they are all season tires.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
Re: Why is it bad to have 17" or higher rims on during the winter?? (GoGTIGo)

People also put on smaller rims so they can go with narrower tires -- a narrower tire as a general rule provides more traction in the snow than a wider tire.
Snow tires work by compacting the snow and then using the heavy lugs of the tread to grip the snow to move the car forward. A narrow tire cuts through the snow more easily therefore compacting it better than wide tires, which will tend to "float" in the snow more.

·
Registered
7,049 Posts
Re: Why is it bad to have 17" or higher rims on during the winter?? (dts)

They put gravel on the roads here in the winter and sometimes results in chips on your wheel, so I do not want chips on my 17s so that is why I use my 15s! I have two sets so might as well use them!

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
Re: Why is it bad to have 17" or higher rims on during the winter?? (CanadianTurbo)

also, bigger wheels with wider tires usually means you have a tire that is less suited to slush/snow/ice than other tires. Soft tire compounds for grip in the summer have a hell of a time with colder temps..

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Re: Why is it bad to have 17" or higher rims on during the winter?? (GoGTIGo)

How much snow do you get in St. Louis? And do they salt the roads? If they do then I woudn't reccomend that you keep your nice rims on during the winter since the salt will ruin them. if you do get plenty of snow then it wouldn't be a good idea to run with wide tires since you will have a tendancy to hydroplane. In the winter you want to run as narrow a tire as possible in order to cut through the snow to the tarmak below and get grip a wide tire will mean that you float on top of the snow and get less grip.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
It is the wide tire more than the rim size ...

To further what is said above ... the wider your tire is, the bigger the contact patch will be. Great for improved traction in the dry, but the tire contact patch exerts less wieght per square unit of measure (less lbs per sq inch). In rain, snow or ice, a smaller contact patch (and good tread depth) will "bite" better in snow and evacuate water better in rain / ice. So it is not the rim size, but the tire contact patch size that matters most. But the 17s are typically all about wide tires, so I guess you can say its related. A 15 will be much narrower with taller aspect ratio to maintain the same overall diamter as the 17.
According to Bridgestone, tires with the proper rubber compound can grip on ice, but a small layer of water on ice eliminates traction, hence their claims about Blizzaks design to evacuate the water layer and provide ice tracton better than studs. I know Hakka Qs are popular on the Vortex, I have been happy with the Blizzaks I have used. Ice is a bigger problem than snow in the area where I live, we seem to get freezing rain sometimes followed by snow more often than just snow. And they clear the snow pretty quickly, which often leaves behind slush and ice is still the real problem. And I can't say enough good things about the Blizzaks on ice. I get a big chuckle driving around all the SUVs sliding around in the ice with their all season tires. Not bad on snow either, definately an improvment over all seasons! Work pretty darn good in rain too, but they tend to suck in the dry - can you say tread squirm? But I imagine most snows exhibit tread squirm sloppy feeling in the dry, its the compromise for the improved grip when the road is fubar.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Re: It is the wide tire more than the rim size ... (JetTurbo)

technically you want the narrowest contact patch passible in the snow..the less the patch area the more pressure can be put down on the ground. Narrow tires = small diameter wheels..
also, most 17"+++ wheels are very expensive...most people dont like to risk damaging nice wheels in the winter, rather steel wheels

·
Registered
132 Posts
Re: Why is it bad to have 17" or higher rims on during the winter?? (albuht)

I think it would only be a problem with the weight difference, but only with reguards to what type of tires you are using.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts