VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this has been bugging me for a while now. Corvette has been running their fairly successful GTS program for the past few years but there haven't been any privateers buying these cars at all. why is that? i remember seeing that the price was somewhat in the $700k area, not out of reason considering how potent the cars are.
you'd think that after winning Daytona overall, and numerous LeMans class wins, that someone somewhere would want to purchase the Pratt and Miller chassis and campaign their own cars. Chrysler sold 41 Vipers just from 1996 to 2001 that raced in the FIA and LeMans. why is it Corvette hasn't sold any?
maybe a few questions with Herb Fischel is in order?

obin

·
Registered
2006 P+ A4 3.2 Avant, 2011 C'Dale Bad Boy, 2014 C'Dale Carbon Synapse, 2019 P+ Q5
41,531 Posts
Re: why is it that nobody is buying Corvettes? (Obin Robinson)

who's going to run against the Factory? All the 'vettes are in Speed GT

·
Registered
13,719 Posts

That is a good question Obin. I have thought that same thing more than once but have never been able to find the answer. Definately for the quality of car they produce and its obvious capabilities it should be a hot seller. Its not cheap, but cars of that caliber are not inexpensive.
I would love to see a couple more Vettes in the hands of other teams giving the factory team a run for their money.

·
Registered
38,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: why is it that nobody is buying Corvettes? (glxdriver)

Quote, originally posted by glxdriver »
That is a good question Obin. I have thought that same thing more than once but have never been able to find the answer. Definately for the quality of car they produce and its obvious capabilities it should be a hot seller. Its not cheap, but cars of that caliber are not inexpensive.
I would love to see a couple more Vettes in the hands of other teams giving the factory team a run for their money.

PRECISELY! you'd want to go with a proven winner and the Corvettes have proven themselves. but we have the same 2 Pratt and Miller "factory" cars turning laps year after year. they've been redone inside and out, but they're still running as factory cars. if privateers can afford to lease multi-milllion dollar cars (like Audi), or buy expensive cars and then put a million into them just to make them competitive (like Olive Garden did with the Ferrari), you'd think that there would be a line around the block waiting to put cheques on P&M's table to get a Corvette.
but nobody? in all these years? heck even public-relations master and "Enzo-incarnate" Steve Saleen has managed to sell more S7s in that time.
obin

·
Registered
13,719 Posts

The other thing is that the cars can also be run in the FIA series in Europe where they wouldnt have to run against the factory team. It is an interesting question indeed.

·
Registered
8,042 Posts

Quote, originally posted by glxdriver »
The other thing is that the cars can also be run in the FIA series in Europe where they wouldnt have to run against the factory team. It is an interesting question indeed.

Actually, the Corvette is not FIA GT legal. The C5R can only be run in ACO sanctioned races, Belcar, and the JGTC with a 5.7 liter engine that I am aware of.
Corvette hasn't sold any cars because, well because they haven't wanted to sell any cars. If Corvette wanted to sell cars they would.

·
Registered
13,719 Posts
Re: why is it that nobody is buying Corvettes? (130_R)

Well, I know they are good in something in Europe because I remember when they were announced to be for sale, they were hoping to sell them overseas to fight agains the Vipers.

·
Registered
13,719 Posts

Found this on the net.
Quote »
C5R-007 finally found a home as it became the first C5-R to be raced by a Team other than the factory:
Joost Custers brings us this exclusive, straight from Belcar team owner Patrick Selleslagh.
Selleslagh has bought Pratt & Miller Corvette chassis #7, which was lined up to be a spare car for Corvette Racing: it was purchased after long discussions and with the support of Sara Lee, the Belgian’s sponsor. It looks superb, doesn't it?
The car was finished on the 15th of January, 2003, and tested by Freon, O'Connell and Fellows in the USA, with the new owner driving it on the same day.
The car has been 'updated' to Belcar rules, so no carbon brakes, smaller restrictors... and it will start the season with a manual gearbox. Patrick Selleslagh hopes to develop the car during the season, probably by changing to a sequential gearbox. As it stands now, the Corvette delivers 600 bhp and 800 nm of torque from 2000 revs / min and is mainly set up in endurance (Le Mans) trim. This will off course be a huge advantage at Zolder, for the 24 Hours.

Found it on this page. http://palmeter.com/C5RChasSNHist.htm

·
Registered
701 Posts

Maybe they will sell the C5-Rs when they switch to the C6-R. People are running the Viper GTS-R even though the factory ditched the program a few years ago. Just a thought.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts