VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Re: Why is it that the Passat is no longer included in any Mid-Size Comparison tests? (lip)

They simply got tired of the Passat kicking the ass of the competition...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Re: Why is it that the Passat is no longer included in any Mid-Size Comparison tests? (jamoses)

Well, It depends on who is doing the review.
Edmunds.com >> MidSize sedan.
ConsumerReport.org >> MidSize sedan ( I think )
ConsumerGuide.com >> Compact Sedan
So it depends, But I think most of the reviewers considers it MidSize.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Re: Why is it that the Passat is no longer included in any Mid-Size Comparison tests? (mimo123)

quote:[HR][/HR]Well, It depends on who is doing the review.
Edmunds.com >> MidSize sedan.
ConsumerReport.org >> MidSize sedan ( I think )
ConsumerGuide.com >> Compact Sedan
So it depends, But I think most of the reviewers considers it MidSize.
[HR][/HR]​
So why did motor trend leave it out in this month's issue of familly four doors? [I just saw the article, but did not read it]

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Re: Why is it that the Passat is no longer included in any Mid-Size Comparison tests? (Honda_to_VW)

I think magazines like Motor Trend get stuck on the same cars that everyone else does- Honda Accord, Toyota Camry, Nissan Altima, etc.
Many reputable companies/websites such as Edmunds.com and Consumer Reports have chosen the Passat as their #1 choice. So, I think if it's included in the test, it usually wins. Maybe Nissan, Toyota, and Honda are throwing some money at magazines to leave out the VW b/c they need the "claim-to-fame" from Motor Trend or whoever. Who knows, but I have noticed the same and am disappointed when I get my auto magazines with midsize sedan reviews and our great car isn't included. That's ok. I know it's great! Better than "Hondota "

·
Registered
654 Posts
Re: Why is it that the Passat is no longer included in any Mid-Size Comparison tests? (chippervw)

quote:[HR][/HR]... That's ok. I know it's great! Better than "Hondota "
[HR][/HR]​
Definetly great.
Hondota..that's new...what happened to camcord?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Re: Why is it that the Passat is no longer included in any Mid-Size Comparison tests? (mmmmark)

No, it's Hoyotasan Accamtima = Honda Accord + Toyota Camry + Nissan Altima...
but you already know that.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Re: Why is it that the Passat is no longer included in any Mid-Size Comparison tests? (B5V)

Perfect! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
It even sounds good in my best "Japanese accent imitation".

·
Registered
554 Posts
Re: Why is it that the Passat is no longer included in any Mid-Size Comparison tests? (lip)

Because the Passat is 95 cubic feet in interior size (sedan - 98 in wagon form) whereas the Accord, Camy and Altima are all 101. That is quite a difference in size. Honestly, 95 is plenty for 99.9% of driving.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Re: Why is it that the Passat is no longer included in any Mid-Size Comparison tests? (dankatz)

The Passat was included in the 2002 Edmunds.com comparo, and it won. It beat out the Hyundai XG350, the Toyota Camry, and the Nissan Altima (in that order, from last to second place).

·
Registered
332 Posts

As for Car and Driver, they exclude the Passat so they do not have to deal with letters from people who are confused that the Accord is still on the 10best even though the Passat spanked it in a comparison test. C&D is extremely biased against VW for no apparent reason-every single time a VW (except for the Passat) is placed in a comparison, it is placed last, sometimes because it does not even belong in a comparison. A Beetle Turbo S does not compete with a RSX-S, in fact its hard to devise any competition for the Bug.

·
Banned
2,136 Posts
Re: Why is it that the Passat is no longer included in any Mid-Size Comparison tests? (vdubrider)

quote:[HR][/HR]A Beetle Turbo S does not compete with a RSX-S, in fact its hard to devise any competition for the Bug.[HR][/HR]​
Why so? Its specs are definitely compatible; it was spanked by the RSX-S in a recent comparo C&D.
As for the original question, I don't understand. C&D did it and MT did it. Interior room is not a good reason, IMO; more likely to be a pretext. Either mags don't like the Passat much. Not clear why.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.