VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i gave up trying to sell it privately, since there were no serious buyers, and all i got out of posting it in the trader, was a fu*cking theif that tried to steal it.
I really don't understand i posted it for $11.000 and there was not a single point of interest.
its been at the auction for a week and a half now and there were no offers there either.

i really don't get it, people that have seen the car personally say that its one of the best condition cars they've seen.

very weird, i'm not gonna sell it under what i paid for it which was actually $10.800 so i was asking $200 more then what i bought it for.
i'm out of ideas.
this is the car i'm talking about.

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
Re: Why is it that this thing can't be sold????? (bad_vr_vento)

If I had the finances I would seriously consider buying that golf... I had a hell of a time trying to sell my 2.0 and I ended up trading it. I think I got way less than what that car should've sold for

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
that's odd... I was talking to a friend of mine who is a wholesaler, and he was saying he had a few golf vr6's and he couldnt get rid of them... he said even the dealerships didnt want them and he sold them all at a loss... they are nice cars, i like the sound of a VR ... I just don't know why they are hard to sell... now that I saw your post I remembered my friend and I still dont get why these are so hard to sell.

·
Registered
21,846 Posts

Maybe Insurance? My guess is it's pretty expensive for anyone under 25 to insure it under their own name.
There's also the insane price of gas now. And a VR6 isn't exactly frugal in the fuel department...
But you've got an awesome looking car, sooner or later it'll find a good home. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
- dac

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
Re: Why is it that this thing can't be sold????? (Big Dac With Fries)

Plain and Simple, Insurance
Most people that want a GTI are probably under 25 and insurance is really just insane and some of the guys over 25-30 probably have other things to worry about like family, mortage etc........
I remember when i bought my DE 2 years ago, mk3 VR's were selling really fast, there were barelly any on autotrader and now there's a bunch of them.
Your car looks really clean, i hope you sell it for what it's really worth but you might be forced to reduce the price so that the lowballers can work their magic.

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
Re: Why is it that this thing can't be sold????? (Ginster DE VR6)

insurance is the reason like everyone is saying.
im having a hell of a time finding insurance for myself on my 94 CL!! they want like 3-4 grand and i have a perfect record (23 years old), so i dont even wanna know what they want for a 98 VR6. market for sport hatches has officially tanked in toronto http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Re: Why is it that this thing can't be sold????? (Big Dac With Fries)

Quote, originally posted by Big Dac With Fries »
Maybe Insurance? My guess is it's pretty expensive for anyone under 25 to insure it under their own name.
There's also the insane price of gas now. And a VR6 isn't exactly frugal in the fuel department...

I was going to say the exact same thing but you beat me to it

·
Registered
8,633 Posts
Re: (lostchild)

Insurance is only part of the equation. The ENTIRE used car market in general is very depressed. As much as the new car market is suffering somewhat, used cars suffer even more because they have no special rates to support the financing so the prices have to drop. What your car might be worth, is very different than what it will sell for on the open market.
So inspite of your car being a prime clean example of a GTI, (which btw I'd snap up in a second if I could find someone to buy my car AND I had a bit of cash lying around), realistically, the car would likely only sell at far below what you paid. It's unfortunate but true.
To give you guys an idea of how bad it is, we have at work several very nice off make vehicles and none of them have moved. They are all priced bang on, but no one has even inquired about them. One is a nice Protege 5, low miles, silver. Weird. Even the Cabrio we have just sold after sitting for months. Normally Cabbies don't last more than a week.
My own personal car I think might be in the 6000 range roughly, but realistically, it would likely only sell for maybe 5000 or so, maybe less because that's just the way things are going these days. it's tough out there.
Good luck with the sale though, I'm sure someone will pick it up eventually.

·
Super Moderator
16,372 Posts

Dan,I'd just plate it and drive it if i were you, then if it has to go for less than you spent, at least you will have had some use out of it. I have to agree with what's beeen said here, insurance is just painful for most people right now, and that's a big hold up on the sale for sure.

·
Banned
22,490 Posts
Re: Why is it that this thing can't be sold????? (itchyG60)

Its deffenitly insurance
I can ge cheaper insurance on a new Passat than my 94 2.0L GTI

If my wife and I wern't planning on having a Kid I'm be in this car in a second

·
Registered
2,595 Posts

VR6=High theft rate. How do you think all those younguns afford MK2 VRs? Ever notice the most stloen cars on Tex? VRs

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
Re: Why is it that this thing can't be sold????? (thatTDIguy)

Quote, originally posted by thatTDIguy »
VR6=High theft rate. How do you think all those younguns afford MK2 VRs? Ever notice the most stloen cars on Tex? VRs

All the Corrado VR, mk3 GTI/GLX VR and PASSAT VR's that were totalled over all these years had absolutely no damage to the engine compartment

Dam VR6 thiefs

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Re: Why is it that this thing can't be sold????? (Ginster DE VR6)

dude its hard to sell a car, no matter what the insurance, or what kind, it`s a bad time for car sales i think.
Wait or drop the price. and if you wait you`ll still have to drop the price.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Re: Why is it that this thing can't be sold????? (LagunaSecaBlueMK3)

keep the dub . . . slap a SC in it and you'll be fine . . . .
No really . . . those cars are hard to sell, and as time goes by the price goes lower for the average buyer . . . .
Keep posting it and you'll find someone
RR
BTW : how many kilometers?????
Why you getting rid of it??????

Modified by RRVW at 9:27 PM 5-21-2004

Modified by RRVW at 9:33 PM 5-21-2004

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Re: Why is it that this thing can't be sold????? (RRVW)

Dude It took me over half a year to sell my car that looked EXACTLY like that. Eventually I wanna get one like yours (and my old one) again.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts