VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just changed my waterpump yesterday and in the process found that I had no thermostat, so I replaced that as well. Today I've been driving around town quite a bit and every 3 minutes my coolant light starts going off. Well, I let it idle for a while in my parking lot with the hood up and discovered that it is coming out of the resevoir up top, just like if it were overheating. There are no other leaks anywhere that I can find. I just want to know what to do to fix this, cause I have to work tomorrow and It's 30 miles away. Please help.
Thank you.

· Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: why is my car spitting coolant everywhere???? (scottba2gti)

I thought that at first two, but I've gone through like 3 gallons of coolant.
Plus I've been driving it all day pretty much. Wouldn't it have cleared up already???

· Registered
5,728 Posts
Re: why is my car spitting coolant everywhere???? (hennessey833)

I've read a lot of posts about this and it seems like when it happens it takes awhile to get rid of it. I've never had the problem whenever I've changed thermostat or anything else that you have to open the cooling system for . Lucky, I guess!

· Registered
3,416 Posts
Defenately sounds like there could be air in the system, also are you 100% positive you put the thermostat in the correct way? I know mechanics that have been working on cars for 20 years that have made this mistake. Might want to check.

· Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

could it possibly be anything else????? Like could the fact that now it has a thermostat have something to do with it?? Just want to find all the possibilities...
Can't it only go in one way???

· Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: why is my car spitting coolant everywhere???? (airbornejet)

well, I let it idle for an hour this morning with the cap off, but it was still boiling over all the time. And when I would rev it up the fluid level would go down like it's sucking the cooland into the engine and then when I let off the accelarator it would rise and over flow again????????????????????????? Could this be my head gasket??

· Registered
11 Posts

The cap on the expansion reservoir has a pressure releif valve built in. I had this same problem once and found the valve had gone. I got a new cap and the problem went away. Even from the dealer these caps are not expensive.

· Registered
403 Posts
Re: why is my car spitting coolant everywhere???? (Smokescreen)

make sure U got an o-ring on the resivoir cap.....cause if that cap doesnt seal it spit coolant out like its boiling,.........check the cap also they are cheap to replace.....good luck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.