VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put an aba block under my jh head, new gaskets, hardware, timing belt, tensioner, etc. Drove the car appx. 30 miles and the timing belt is all chunked up on the outer edge. It seems as tho the belt is walking its way off! Would the belt being too tight cause this?? Has anyone ever had this issue??

·
Registered
12,064 Posts
Something is not straight, or the maybe the belt is too tight. How tight do you have it. How far is it trying to go?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tightened to spec, can twist 90degrees. Hard to say but it seems like it would walk all the way if the tensioner and lower cover weren't holding it on. Seeing as how they are tho I really can't say how far it would walk. I'm beginning to tear down now, if I find anything I will update:thumbup:

·
Registered
961 Posts
IM shaft bearings any good?

if the intermediate shaft bearings are trashed, that will make the timing belt walk off..
This.

Had the same problem on my MK3. This was the solution

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Seems like the IM shaft is bent to me. There's a slight wobble on the gear, bolted the gear onto the old out of car block and spun it wobble free. I then attached the gear back to the current car engine without the timing belt and spun the dist. and in turn the IM/gear with a drill and both the drill and the centered nut wobble. That makes me think it's a bent shaft over just a spent outer bearing. Question is, if the shaft is bent does that mean I have to replace both inner and outer IM shaft bearings??? That would mean engine removal and redisassembly etc. and be devastating!:banghead::banghead::banghead::beer::beer::beer::beer:

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Seems like the IM shaft is bent to me. There's a slight wobble on the gear, bolted the gear onto the old out of car block and spun it wobble free. I then attached the gear back to the current car engine without the timing belt and spun the dist. and in turn the IM/gear with a drill and both the drill and the centered nut wobble. That makes me think it's a bent shaft over just a spent outer bearing. Question is, if the shaft is bent does that mean I have to replace both inner and outer IM shaft bearings??? That would mean engine removal and redisassembly etc. and be devastating!:banghead::banghead::banghead::beer::beer::beer::beer:
throw another GOOD im shaft in the engine, and see how much bearing clearance there is. if the bearings are shot, the engines oil pressure will be crappy..

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
throw another GOOD im shaft in the engine, and see how much bearing clearance there is. if the bearings are shot, the engines oil pressure will be crappy..
Yes well, ya can't really just 'throw an IM shaft in. Either the engine has to be pulled or dropped a few inches. I don't want to go through that twice. Already have. And then some:facepalm:

·
Registered
961 Posts
Yes well, ya can't really just 'throw an IM shaft in. Either the engine has to be pulled or dropped a few inches. I don't want to go through that twice. Already have. And then some:facepalm:
Then be prepared to lose timing belt and bend valves...

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Then be prepared to lose timing belt and bend valves...
yyyyyaa, cuz that makes a lot of sense:screwy:
8v is non interference so no matter what I won't be bending valves. Saying I'll bend valves on an 8v is the type of thing that will make all your input meaningless.

Anyways, is the way of replacing the shaft bearings by punching them into the block and then fishing them out the oil pan?? I'd have to fabricate some specialty item to pull the bearing out.

·
Registered
73 Posts
8v is non interference so no matter what I won't be bending valves. Saying I'll bend valves on an 8v is the type of thing that will make all your input meaningless.

Anyways, is the way of replacing the shaft bearings by punching them into the block and then fishing them out the oil pan?? I'd have to fabricate some specialty item to pull the bearing out.
Rocco man, have you made a tool like this? or a way cause im interested in that. i have a cabby that needs IM Bearings any ideas or input would be great.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts

no dude.. an ABA is definitely an interference engine.. MOST OF THE TIME..

when you add a cam, and higher compression, then its basically an interference engine every time..

and if you dont consider changing the IM shaft, then your only other option is to WRECK the engine..

·
Registered
961 Posts

I know because I've done it. Believe bad info if you want. The results will tell the truth.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.