VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
09 Jetta 2.5 SE

I’m curious why the backlight that shows me how much gas I have turned off, as well as the engine temp backlight. They all used to be lit at some point, now they barely come on. How could I fix this?
Trip computer Gauge Speedometer Car Automotive design

·
Registered
10,918 Posts
Looks like the Leds went out for those dials if the rest are working fine, did you happen to do any coding to the modules?

The leds are not serviceable like the tiny bulbs Vw was using before but if you do a search here you will find a post /diy about how to swap the led out.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like the Leds went out for those dials if the rest are working fine, did you happen to do any coding to the modules?

The leds are not serviceable like the tiny bulbs Vw was using before but if you do a search here you will find a post /diy about how to swap the led out.
I had done some coding to get the windows to roll down w my key fob and that’s all. They randomly come on whenever they want

·
Registered
381 Posts
Im not sure if this can be accessed through vcds, but is there a way to test the cluster illumination? I know that some accesses to the cluster is blocked off because of mileage but maybe the lights can be tested?

·
Registered
10,918 Posts
I had done some coding to get the windows to roll down w my key fob and that’s all. They randomly come on whenever they want
I took a look at J519 / Cecm and instruments and do not see anything having to do with backlighting for the fuel & temp as far as coding or output tests. Took at look at the convenience module seeing you did some coding there and nothing for backlight on dials.

The only output test for the backlighting that I found was for for the dimmer control wheel and it showed % and as you know it never turns the backlight completely off.

·
Registered
614 Posts
It sounds like the LEDs have a broken solder joint somewhere since you say they work intermittently. You can try to take the cluster apart and hope you see where it is. There are also cluster repair services you can use if you aren't comfortable taking it apart and reflowing the solder yourself. They should be in the same circuit with the rest of the backlight LEDs, so I don't think it's a coding or wiring issue.

Reactions: AugustoGuy

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It sounds like the LEDs have a broken solder joint somewhere since you say they work intermittently. You can try to take the cluster apart and hope you see where it is. There are also cluster repair services you can use if you aren't comfortable taking it apart and reflowing the solder yourself. They should be in the same circuit with the rest of the backlight LEDs, so I don't think it's a coding or wiring issue.
Do you know if there are any fuses that control it? I was thinking of replacing the fuse first before taking it apart

1 - 8 of 8 Posts