VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i think the pads might be wearing prematurely, there is so much brake dust on them and i havent't been driving hard at all, i washed them really good a week and a half ago and i got in my car at school today and someone wrote on them 'clean me!' it was funny but i think there really might be something wrong with my brakes any help would be appreciated, thanks

·
Registered
159 Posts
Re: why is there so much brake dust on my rear wheels? (VWMike81)

Both the front and rear pads used to be the same, but customers complaint the rear brakes were squeaking. So VW changed the rear pads to a softer material.
Once the current ones wear out, replace them with low dust version of aftermarket pads.
Alex

·
Registered
664 Posts
Re: why is there so much brake dust on my rear wheels? (Tornado Red 1.8T)

quote:[HR][/HR]so theres nothing wrong with them right? i will get something good after these wear out then[HR][/HR]​
It's normal, my Jetta also has more brake dust on the rears than the fronts as do a lot of other MkIV cars
i've looked at. I drove my car gently for the first 1000 miles and yet the rear brakedust was three time worse
than the fronts. As the pads got more broken in, the amount of dust lessened greatly but the rear is still dustier
than the fronts and i'm sure it's because VW is using a softer more organic compound on the rear.
The pads on these cars are already pretty good and do their job pretty well. I just put sticky wide tires on it this
weekend and took the car to my favorite canyon roads and really pushed it hard, and the brakes did an admirable
job for stockers. It's been my experience through the years (and many brands of brakepads i've tried) that if you
want a grippy soft pad you're going to get brake dust. If you use a low dust pad, you're going to have less braking
power. BTDT !! I use Ferodo pads on my 85 GTi and 89 BMW. They have more hot grip and less hot fade than stock,
but only slightly less dust. You won't find a grippy dustless pad.

[Modified by RandyWalters, 5:55 AM 11-27-2001]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.