VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
24,098 Posts
FV-QR

Perfect in what sense? The engine doesn't make sense for the car in this segment. It's meant to go up against the Camrys, Accords, Sonatas, etc. For that segment you typically have a low-power fuel efficient 4-cylinder (in this case, VW has the 2.5L I5), a V6 model (VR6), and a high-efficiency model (TDI). The 2.0T doesn't make sense as a replacement for any of those.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know, it just confuses me. I don't expect it as the base engine, but there's no reason it wouldn't be great in the new Passat with its power and great relative fuel economy. I was just really surprised to see the VR6 survive, since VW has been talking of its demise in recent years.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I think one of the "problems" with the 2.0T vs. the 4 cylinder engines in Camry, Accord, etc... the 2.0T requires premium fuel, turning away some buyers. The 2.5 can run on regular, so from a "we need to sell more cars than Toyota" point of view, the 2.5 makes sense ;)

·
Premium Member
2013 Audi TT RS; 2017 Audi S6
9,078 Posts
I think one of the "problems" with the 2.0T vs. the 4 cylinder engines in Camry, Accord, etc... the 2.0T requires premium fuel, turning away some buyers. The 2.5 can run on regular, so from a "we need to sell more cars than Toyota" point of view, the 2.5 makes sense ;)
Premium isn't required but is recommended.

·
Registered
12,552 Posts
Perfect in what sense? The engine doesn't make sense for the car in this segment. It's meant to go up against the Camrys, Accords, Sonatas, etc. For that segment you typically have a low-power fuel efficient 4-cylinder (in this case, VW has the 2.5L I5), a V6 model (VR6), and a high-efficiency model (TDI). The 2.0T doesn't make sense as a replacement for any of those.
Sonata ditched the 6 in favor of a turbo 4 for its top engine. I agree the 200 hp 2.0T couldn't be a top of the line engine, but a variant producing more power could be done just like Hyundai did, and with an even better engine to start with.

·
Banned
8,271 Posts
Unless your knock sensor is defective, no it won't.
Obviously, you own a car with a 2.0T, but I've driven my brother's 2.0T CC many many times and it runs like **** and pings like a mofo, unless you put 91+ in it. Not to mention, you get much much better MPG on 91+ octane

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Premium isn't required but is recommended.
That doesn't make a difference to the kind of people that see premium fuel and just see dollar signs.
"Enthusiasts" on this site don't understand octane, John Smith definitely doesn't.

·
Registered
24,098 Posts
Sonata ditched the 6 in favor of a turbo 4 for its top engine. I agree the 200 hp 2.0T couldn't be a top of the line engine, but a variant producing more power could be done just like Hyundai did, and with an even better engine to start with.
I don't think I would swap a 2.0T for a VR6 in the Passat. The Hyundai hasn't really shown that their 2.0T is "successful" in this segment, and though the VW motor is probably better, I still don't think people would prefer it.

·
Registered
983 Posts
That doesn't make a difference to the kind of people that see premium fuel and just see dollar signs.
"Enthusiasts" on this site don't understand octane, John Smith definitely doesn't.
^This. Also, the same John Smith doesn't want to pay for synthetic oil or any other expensive maintence or operating cost. It's not just low cost out the door, but also low operating cost that the mainstream buyer wants. Since VW is targeting the mainstream market with the new Passat, the 2.5 makes a lot more sense than any turbocharged engine.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.