VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I have always been amazed that VW has never offered a true limited slip differential on their highest end GTIs. Even as an option. The new MKVI apparently has some kind of computer controlled traction system that mimics a limited slip, but it still seems like a band aid at best.
Does anyone have experience with this new diff control? Do you like it? Does it perform as well as a mechanical limited slip inside the trans? I just feel that VW should throw in a mechanical LSD from the start as a lot of their competitors (Civic Si, I believe Cobalt SS...) offer one.
Sorry if this question has been posed before, I am just honestly interested. Is it due to cost concerns?

·
Registered
266 Posts
a mechanical diff would cost extra money. If this new system is able to mimic a mechanical lsd with the same parts, maybe an extra sensor or two, it would be EXTREMELY more cost effective and have less to worry about for maintenance

·
Registered
23,418 Posts
Re: Why not a mechanical limited slip differential? (EnIgMa '06)

There is some discussion in this thread.
Apart from the cost and weight savings, there is also the safety/liability issue. Cars with mechanical front LSDs can be a handful for the inexperienced driver. VW typically tries to make cars foremost very drivable - for anyone.

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Why not a mechanical limited slip differential? (feels_road)

Thank you both for your input. That thread was a good read.
Still seems like a bandage at best, though I'm sure it helps tremendously.

·
Premium Member
2013 Audi TT RS
9,033 Posts

Quote, originally posted by EnIgMa ’06 »
Thank you both for your input. That thread was a good read.
Still seems like a bandage at best, though I'm sure it helps tremendously.

For the 98% of GTI drivers who never track their car I doubt you will never notice a difference.
What it comes down to is "saying" you have an LSD even though you rarely if ever use it.

·
Registered
38 Posts

hey man, i work for vw so i see the problems with them all the time and i must say that as far as the GTI and GLI drivers they tend to be hard on the cars and i feel like a mechanical LSD would be extremely subject to wear. However, the EDL uses the principal of an open diff to its advantage. It takes the wheel with the least traction that wants to spin and holds it with the ABS so all the power goes to the other wheel, the one with traction. The cool part is that it runs on such a fast controller network that it can sense and correct for traction multiple times per second. so it keeps wheel spin to a minimum, but never really holds back a noticable amoun of power. and like everyone else said, by using software and ABS that has to be there anyway and leaving out extra hardware, you save weight and money.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.