VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
1,141 Posts
Re: why not r32? (scottyrocco16vDUB)

Well maybe you'd see one in the USA. I just don't see VW splitting up their budget to get another WRC project started. Would be neat to see. I think that in Europe that they have a R32 race series.

· Registered
1,897 Posts
Re: why not r32? (dolemite)

Quote, originally posted by dolemite »
because VW are content with having skoda fail miserably without any proper funding

That does get a little aggrivating for the die-hard VW guys. "Look, there goes a VW around the bend and... right into a tree."

· Registered
1,084 Posts
Re: (NoDubJustYet)

Quote, originally posted by NoDubJustYet »
it needs to be a 2.0T (FIA rules) and the 4motion system found in MkIV's sucks...

Isn't there a 2.0T comming from VW with the MKV platform? Could you not stick this engine into an Audi A3/S3?

· Registered
829 Posts

The new head of VW Racing has made it clear VW will not be in the WRC.
The R32 may be an OK car for US's PGT class but with out a turbo it may be lacking in torque over a broad RPM range.
WRC cars are effectively limited to 2.0L at this point.
The car is rather heavy something that will not be fixed in the PGT class as the limits on removing mass.
It looks like a very nice road car, one I may buy but not the best platform for the current rules in rally.
Derek

· Registered
171 Posts
Re: (prana)

Everyone is forgetting about Seat. They ran a Cordoba and were more successful than Skoda. The R32 is not right fo a number of reasons but I disagree about PGT here in states. A WRX is 3300lbs and an Evo is just as heavy. How is the Golf too heavy?

· Registered
829 Posts
Re: (VTRally)

Good point on how much the other cars wiegh, and with them using 32mm restrictors poss the R32 will be the right stuff in PGT.
A lot of people do not like the Hadix system but I understand you can reporgram it and it was developed by a rallyest - so poss it is OK. Hmmm might be a good car in that class afterall.

· Registered
829 Posts

Ouch the 1.6L VW polo with 2wd finishes 3rd and the R32 with big stomping 3.2L and 4wd finsishes 11th.
This illistrates a point I was just talking to someone about, race cars take develoupment, lots of develoupment to bring to thier peek. There is likely nothing wrong with the r32 vs the polo, one has however been rallyed for years the other has not.
We also do not know what spec the R32 was, GpN? (I did not see it homologated last time I looked) or some national class? A S1600 Polo is a full on race car.
DKB

· Registered
2018 Atlas V6 R-Line; 2019 330ix M-Sport
39,881 Posts
Re: (4thChirpinGTI)

Quote, originally posted by 4thChirpinGTI »
i think the car is too heavy, and vw needs to make the car much better suited for rallly situations.

i think every production car that comes off the lot is too heavy for professional rallye racing. too the best of my knowledge the WRC, BRC and SCCA pro cars are all super stripped down. They can't use a production R32 engine anyway... it's 1.2 liters too big. The Skoda Fabia will be the one and only VAG product competing in WRC as a company sponsored vehicle. Skoda is having enough problems, VAG should focus on the Fabia before it attempts to enter another car in a top group like that. Also, remember marketing... why would VW enter a car with a 7 year old body style? Look at Peugeot, in order to sell more 307's, the switched from the 206. Mitsubishi introduced the new Evo. Skoda switched from the aging Octavia to the Fabia. Even if VW wanted to enter WRC with their own car it would never be the R32...

· Registered
2018 Atlas V6 R-Line; 2019 330ix M-Sport
39,881 Posts
to tell you the truth i don't know much about the Fabia's engine. The WRC site says it's a 1999cc engine but doesn't go into any depth. whatever is in the Fabia isn't close to a production engine though. The only offerings on Skoda's website are a 1.9L TDI, 1.4 TDI, 1.9 SDI, 8V 2.0, 1.4 and a 1.2L. So I don't know what engine they're basing the WRC engine off of.
here we go... google is a wonderful thing:
http://news.kak.net/modules.ph...d=850
Engine Four-cylinder, 2xOHC, 20 valves turbocharged, water cooled
Bore/stroke (mm) 82.5/93.5
Displacement 1999cc
Maximum output (kW/rpm) 220 @ 5500 rpm
Maximum torque (Nm/rpm) 600 @ 3500 rpm
Transmission Six-gear sequential semi-automatic gearing
Clutch Carbon, triple-plate
Four-wheel drive Permanent with three active differentials
Suspension McPherson, front and rear
Shock absorbers Gas-hydraulic, individually adjustable

so, did they bore out a 1.8 20V?

Modified by NoDubJustYet at 9:05 PM 2-29-2004

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.