VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 15 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Orig owner 90 g60, 02 allroad 6SP M w/ 3rd Row, 07 3X White NB Vert, 09 Escalade ESV Plat to tow em
8,235 Posts
Turbo lag .... It's a thing of the past and there's a ton of ways to get around it now. It's a privilege to have driven a Saab 900 turbo and a 930 turbo. Those motors come alive when the turbo spools up. It's a little embarrassing off the line though.

The bottom line is that early turbo cars didn't have the technology (ecu) or turbine technology that's available today. With that being said, a turbo can easily exceed the limits of a G Ladder. If you put a turbo on a car engineered (ecu) and designed (G60 head flowed for 158 hp) for a positive displacement charger (G Ladder / Lysholm, etc) limits are set on it's performance. Beyond that throw better parts, tuning & cash at anything and you can remedy the turbo lag a turbo G60 is inherent to. Specificly I think that's what Johnny's say'n

·
Registered
Orig owner 90 g60, 02 allroad 6SP M w/ 3rd Row, 07 3X White NB Vert, 09 Escalade ESV Plat to tow em
8,235 Posts
I never thought about that. I'm running a Lysholm on my LG (fridge).

That's the intrigue of the G60 though. Just the fact that it runs despite all it's shortcomings.

The grey market 914-6 I ran a 2.7 w/ 2x3 webers. I enjoyed that same freak as what's going on in my G60. It's a hell of a lot more comfortable not having a 225 hp motor inches away from your back. On 90+ days its was no fun to sit in a black, air cooled car at a stoplight. On the other hand it's the only car you can drive in the rain above 60mph with the top off and stay dry.

Just the fact my G60 is in performance running condition shocks the $/:! out of most who know what it is. The more obsolete the G60 becomes the higher its value. That's just a VW & Porsche factiod.

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
Proofs in the pudding. Pudding eating contest below :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
Lysholm is the apidamy of efficiency. For its time the G-Ladder was impressive. Modifications to increase boost was the writing on the wall for its demise.

Lysholm 1200A Supercharger

Garrett GT32

Garrett GT32 Press vs Flow

I used the Garrett GT32 as comparison since it's the hot ticket in turbine technology. The charts are the best way to compare apples to apples. For obtaining immediate, cost effective boost at low rpm on a PG (G60) motor, a supercharger is the way to go. A turbo will get you there and more but, the PG was not designed for the characteristics of a turbine from the factory.

Adiabatic Efficiency:
Screw Compressor Approx. 80%
G-Ladder Approx. 60%
GT32 Approx 68% - Heat soak will decrease this rating proportionally

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
I hear what your saying. The B/W 6258 will run you about $1.5K on the low end if you can find one new. It's easy to spend another $1-1.5K on the essentials for installation. If you opt for a stand alone management system throw down $500 to $1K. After all that you've got a PG head that's limited by flow characteristic once your boost goes up. The PG block is a lump compared to internals of a motor specifically built for a turbo.

A turbo can smoke a built Corrado G60 or Lysholm. The point Johnny's making is that it just costs a lot more to change a G60 to a turbo motor with the identical or greater performance characteristics. There's no magic combo to chip and bolt on to a G60 that will make it scream like it does with a STG III kit (cost wise).

Don't buy a kit, none of them out there are worth what they want for them, put one together yourself its easy, here is a quick list for ya:

turbo exhaust mani (with or without external waistegate flange thats up to you)
turbo of your choice
sns chip (give them your specs and they burn them for ya)
cone filter
boost controller (turbosmart has a nice manual one that works great and is around 100 bucks)
piping-----------exhust shop can throw something nice together
downpipe--------some exhust shops can help or point you to someone who can
anything I am forgetting?
also some things that are nice to help tune are a boost gauge, a/f guage, and a egt gauge anyway if you need anymore help just let me know, I went down this road last year.......

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
Love me the turbo(s), just not for the G60 unless I swap to a 20V. I just rolled 100,000 clicks on the 2.7t and can't wait to Stg II or III it as part of the maintenance. If there was some way to hang a

• turbo
  • intake
  • and then chip
the stock PG motor and get the linear torque curve of the Allroad or s/c'd G60, I'd build it next. Show me some dyno runs sheets for just hanging a Borg Warner EFR or 6258 on a G60 and I'm a believer.

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
No worry Mate! That's the thing about the Corrado. There's a cult following. There's still enough of em to Frankenstein 8V, 16V, 20V, 24V and even one 30V (2.7T). A turbo is just the tip of the TDI, Syncro, Haldex Corrado iceberg. I'd love to see someone stuff a W8 in one of these.

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
I've got a BBM lysholm silencer kit waiting to go on after my next G Ladder rebuild is out. Between now and then I'll find a lysholm off the classifieds to prep. Repoman's life size Hot Wheels has me motivated to dial up the boost now that I've got the platform to support it.

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
TEC used one on their Corrado but it was vague on it's performance. I was looking at Rotrex for a while. There were never any dyno sheets available from a Corrado G60 install so I knew not to get in on it. The last article I saw on the inet showed the size that goes in a G60 could only get about 7-8lb boost.

Edit .. Just got off the phone w/ Jackson Racing who is the Dist in my area. Here's the bottom line with Rotrex on the G60:

Cost factor w/ exchange rate of the 1 US Dollar = 5.62867 Danish Krone
Dedicated support solely for the Corrado G60. Per the folks at Rotrex:

If you have a problem with your Rotrex supercharger then contact the dealer for advice. Always contact the dealer where you bought the supercharger. Do not contact Rotrex directly as only the dealer will be able to help.
We do not recommend attempting to repair the Rotrex supercharger. We are aware of some companies offering repairs, however none of these are Rotrex approved. At Rotrex we never repair superchargers or reuse components.
Please also note that Rotrex does not offer any warranty on superchargers that have been repaired or disassembled

In spite of them being around for a while they're still a small Danish Co and have yet to make it into a production vehicle. Real world road time and the R&D that would come from running a Rotrex in a daily driver would get them to the next level.

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
reliability with a G lader :rolleyes: now there's an oxymoron if I ever heard one.

The G-Ladders have service interval requirements based upon what they're asked to do. When they don't get rebuilt on that one simple requirement and get run into that G-Ladder Twilight Zone ... THAT's the Oxymoron you hear justifying and blaming the G-Ladder for not rebuilding itself

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
Guaranteed no Lag Turbo right here buddy :mad:

Computer Guided, Laser Cut 10 Blade Turbine
Spooling @ 20,000 RPMs+
Maximum Boost in less than 1/10 of a second
2” – 3.5” Rubber Couplers
High-Flow Air Filter
Step-by-step Installation Guide
Batteries not included
Heavy Duty Securing Clamps

What did I here em say about chrome and home?

·
Registered
8,235 Posts

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
Unrelated but lysholm specific. 07 Chevy Tahoe with a lysholm twin screw @ 8lb & 400hp.

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
I just repurchased the lysholm silencer kit I sold a few months ago. A lysholm was thrown into a package deal with it. Oh God, this car is gonna fly when it's done. 2014 was a year of parts hunting. 2015 is build time!

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
Drop a 1.8t from an early A4 or Mk IV (AEB, AGU) 20V engineered to run a turbo. HP increases are available at a linear rate that graduate with cost = WIN.

It works we'll because that's what those 20V motors were designed for. John's point is that 1.8T vs 1.8 g lader (PG) vs a 1.8 (PG) swap'd to a turbo are different animals. Every time someone throws a turbo on a PG motor they're already behind what a 1.8T motor swap would do for the car in comparable dollars. The flow rate of a 2V PG head is so far behind a 5V AEB it's not funny. It's rewarding to get a 1.8 PG to out perform a g lader car. It can be done, and there's nothing wrong with doing it. It's best said that a turbo PG motor needs more dyno numbers and a build list to accurately calculate an apples to apples comparison for a clear winner in this thread.

BTW sorry to get all geeked up about the lysholm in this thread. It's a magic potion for the g60 with an intoxicating swan song. It gives the g60 big swinging balls and legend status as they become less common.

1 - 15 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.