VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
There's also such a thing as the real world that needs to be taken into consideration.

I've been to the track in my old 1.8t and vs. friends, who had more mods than I did, was able to clip times about .8 to 1sec faster. Quarter mile times can vary greatly between drivers and individual cars. It would be helpful to have time slips to compare differences in 60' times and trap speeds.

Also, if a supercharger head unit breaks, you are pretty much SOL. You hold the lot of old used rebuilt auto rotor units and historically do not sell them individually...unless the customer purchased the whole kit from you....and that is even if you have any in stock at the time.

A new t series journal bearing oil lubricated turbo goes for around $800-950 bucks. What of your new kit, if you do base it on the aba motor I assume it will be a new sprintex unit? What do those go for? 3k range? pass. I don't really get where you come up with the (aba takes a lot of money to make quick with a turbo." Its essentially the same exact parts minus the head unit/turbo. You have also said yourself that you do not warranty the stage 3 kits and you are going into the "grey area" when spinning them up to 15psi. A turbo can RELIABLY make 15-20 PSI for a long time.

So yeah, I see the case for people going turbo over S/C.

:popcorn:

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
You'll put about 2k of skin into the game between manifold, turbo and downpipe. There are still people out there making manifolds, and used ones have become hard to find.

20psi from a charger on this motor....im assuming that would be your higher stage kit. Hope it comes with a decent set of rods...20psi with that much CFM will create a LOT of torque at the lower range...rod bend territory.

I would still sleep better knowing that at the end of the day, if my turbo breaks it also does not break my bank...but I may be biased based on my broken supercharger experience.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
You're the one who brought up mk3's and the Auto rotor units vs. Kinetic in your own thread...figured it was fair game. Kinetic stopped making the kit...boo hoo...manifolds are available. Still tons of people Turboing ABA's

Like G60 said, there are very few PG motors in USA kicking around. Far less that have even tried to do a turbo conversion.

Just listing the benefits of going turbo...easy upgradeability to larger internal turbo's etc., boost pressure changes on demand (not having to change pulleys), Historic reliability and the turbo itself is far less expensive...there's more too. Also like G60 said, Turbo's won the game. Not to say that superchargers cant be cool...But there are definite reason why turbo's are more popular. As usual, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
ok jbetz, I've been following this thread forever for the amusement I guess. It is pretty funny. These motors, like you say, are "tank like" built, almost exact looking to the 1.6 diesels and 1.7l. I've never upgraded the bottom ends, other than hardware, They are plenty strong. I'm bored and game for your challenge. Lay your rules down, and be detailed. What are your numbers? hp/tq, qt mile?

Motor has to be totally stock? no arp, no cam, no timing gear, no porting?
ecm=digi 1? stock, stock map sensor, no sensor mods, injectors? tuning?
trans? code, gear ratio, diff, poor man posi, stock axles?
tires? street, drag radial, slicks?
platform? mk1,2, corrado? weight? mods?

My current setup is:
83 gti 1800lbs, 1950 rtr
14" mt drag radials
gy 4 speed trans, w/ poor man posi, stock axles
stock internal pg no port work, arp hardware all around, 276 cam, cam gear
precision 5431 running 30lbs
Good ol' budget digi 1 tuned by me (thanks to the guys on ecu connections for getting me started, you know who you are:thumbup:), 3 bar map, 2 step
3.5bar fpr, 42lb fm injectors

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/16090118893/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/16502778237/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/16710068665/

Match my setup? or i'll compromise to yours? either way I'm staying mk1, that's what I own a lot of. I'll add weight if needed.

Let the fun begin
Nice setup!

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Why the emphasis on discrediting cars that have been built and not an off the shelf kit?

Just because it doesn't fit within the confines of your "game" does not make it irrelevant. And a high horsepower aba or PG turbo is not a "1/4 mile car" one trick pony. I would argue that these turbo cars are more daily driveable, reliable and streetable than the highest horsepower, stage 3 or more, BBM car.

Im saying this because stage 3 18psi or 20psi on a autorotor, like you have said, is like "predicting Chaos" and going past the "Engineered limits"

Put a journal bearing t3/t4 up to 20 psi all day long. Garrets are usually bullet proof. Put $1000 on that one.

1 - 5 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.