VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
JBETZ
I've done a few of these set ups in our shop here and sold at a least a dozen turbo kits for the G60. So I'm speaking from experience.
If you never seen any turbo produce a qtr mile time better then the charger guys what is the best you have seen done? Of course with stock internals etc like you mentioned at your shop.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
And still a slug on the G60 :eek:

I'm sure it just a fluke that we won the 2004 European car 1.8T time attach against oh....a dozen turbo cars when we ran a Supercharger. Same engine size 1.8T, or should I say 1.8SC for us.
And that's a 20v :D

Thats Awesome and I remember the write up on it in the mag. I might still have it I'll have to look. I remember feeling that all the cars were sorta slow in the magazine and wished Bill Schimmel had built a car for that mix. In 1998 Bill had his car in the 11's and built others in the 9's and here's a bunch of cars in the 13's and 14's qtr mile in 2004. :confused:

Not mocking yaa because I like and appreciate all that BBM has done to the VW scene for yrs and current.:thumbup:
I just remember thinking there's faster cars at the time that would be a better example for the turbos. I also remember that BBM having the best sounding of the bunch. I also thought BBM had the most hp in the mix. I wanted BBM to win out of that line up or the other Corrado. :p

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Some people who go turbo most likely are not just going to be satisfied with a 14 sec qtr mile pass at full weight. Thats just teasing them to build a turbo engine correctly. Not just throwing on a kit and calling it a day. They are getting a turbo cuz they can surpass a super charger performance with a further upgrades and or possible future build. You hear it all the time.

If you want a fast street car that only does about High 14. sec qtr mile pass at full weight BBM might be for you. If you gut yr Corrado with further upgrades you might be in the 12's . Also consider you will be stuck in that range or BBM would of built a faster car is my guess.

If you want something that will keep up with performance of today's standards for an average stock VW's R models BBM can get you there.

When it comes to drag racing your better off with a turbo in the long run just in case you want to compete with a bit faster cars at the track. You just gotta build the motor.

I think that's why so many just ditch the motor as a whole and put in a 16 valve or VR6 and start there.

Anyone know what the fastest g60 qtr mile time with a BBM super charger is? Full weight or gutted?

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
you can still hear the blower, but it sounds like music to me :)
Nice :thumbup:;) I'm the same way ;) My Corrado has a 4"down pipe wide open and never had the radio on in like 7yrs Hmm Love it! My 928 that I had for many more has never had the radio on I just roll down the windows n the V8 was all music.

The BBM car must of been a blast to hear, feel and pedal thru going into the turns and coming out. :cool:

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Here's some cool tec stuff that's being used with a turbo set ups for anti lag. It's been around for some time and getting more refined over time. Seems to be working well for Subaru guys. I also talked to some Supra/RX7 guys this weekend using there own design with success.

If you wait until the first S12 that appears in the video below, you can hear the engine idle change. They leave the start line at 1800 rpm and 3.5 BAR absoloute boost pressure which is 51.45 PSI of boost. The ford/skoda and Grp N cars leave at 5-6000rpm.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Heres some info http://www.racedandrallied.com/tech...tion-of-the-subaru-wrc-rocket-anti-lag-system

The "rocket" is a device is fitted to the header just in front of the turbo and works as a sophisticated anti-lag system. Air and fuel are fed into a combustion chamber and ignited by a spark on over-run, it can be used in three stages (depending on how long you want the engine to last) and is the cause of the loud banging noise that can be heard as these cars pass by and the flames coming out of the tail pipe. This system is used in conjunction with the boost pack which stores excess pressure in it's own reservoir to be fed back into the engine inlet side of the inter cooler when the throttle is depressed after shut off. All this is coupled to the "flat change" gear shift and launch control system which is of course controlled the the ECU.

I need something like this for my Corrado SLC that has a GT40r.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
I think JBETz title says it all - Why NOT to install a turbo on the G60 8v engine that was engineered for a supercharger!

The car was engineered for a supercharger. If you build the motor for a turbo it will be a different story in the straight.
I have a G60 that rips well 16-18psi :p but with my turbo vr Corrado in turbo lag condition is way faster even when I had a small turbo and stock trans. G60 is a fun street car.

You cant just throw a turbo on a car and expect it to perform properly as some has tried.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.