VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

: ) Why NOT to install a turbo on the G60 8v engine that was engineered for a supercharger!

71K views 183 replies 44 participants last post by  vwpat 
#1 · (Edited)
I thought I would stir this topic up a bit... time to bring this back for the 8v guys thinking about real performance :)

First of all I want to start with no dis-respect to all of you that have the turbo running on your 8v. We have many turbo customers and we appreciate the business and support.
I have done more than a few myself and they can at times run correctly and be fun.
Still this combination is slower than a supercharger on this engine can cause some serious nightmares and frustration.

I've owned and ran many a turbo car...I have one right now. I'm switching back to SC. As you all know we sell both turbo kits and supercharger kits.

* The G60 8V engine has very heavy weight internal parts.
* The crank, rods, pistons and even the harmonic balancer are very heavy and I mean very heavy, tank like.
* These parts and the engine were specifically engineered for instant, smooth and the long boost curve of a supercharger. The management is also designed and engineered for the boost of a supercharger. This is a very important part of this.
* The power band on the G60 8v is short...they pull to about 6k RPM. The turbo just starts to go at about the mid point of the RPM band.
* The flow of the head works better with the smooth linear boost of the supercharger.
* The digifant 1 G60 management system can have some serious issues trying to deal with the boost curve spiking in and out, jumping around.
* Any turbo is just a lower performance option, less torque and really works against what was intended here.

I've done a few of these set ups in our shop here and sold at a least a dozen turbo kits for the G60. So I'm speaking from experience.

The best choice for this engine is the good old g-lader or another positive displacement supercharger.

Bottom line, the turbo on this engine will not match the performance of the supercharger FACT!

I've had a $1000 dollars on the table for anyone that can beat our 1/4 mile time with a supercharger on the G60 8v engine running the digifant management, stock engine internals. The money has sat on the table for now over 10 years!

Ok, lets flames away.... :)

See less See more
#179 ·
Hey Johnny

since i have reading this thread, I have a question.... how about supercharge a awp block, with g60 head ??

asking because I have the g60 with your stage 5 parts, with head, but I have a 1.8t awp block
have you ever done something like that ?

cheers

#181 · (Edited)
If you used 1.8t pistons under a G60 head, you would have 12.25:1 compression ratio, but I feel there is likely a million little things to address to make it work. I personally feel there is no advantage here. the 1.8t bottom end is not any bigger, and not really any stronger than a PG. An ABA bottom end would probably net more power gains. Bigger displacement, and higher compression. (Higher than PG block, but still suitable for boost)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.