VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking at buying an electric car and stumbled on the fact that VW makes one. So I went to Craig’s List and found that they are generally less than half the original price. I’m basing that on Wiki which said the first models starting around 2015 or 2016 were $35,000. There’s a 2019 at a dealer near me for less than $17K and about 10K miles on it. This seems like a bargain.

Why so cheap? Is there a problem with these cars that drives the used price down?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Not a problem just small batteries. The 2015-2016 has a range of 80 miles. The 2017+ has a range of 125 miles. With 2017 models coming off lease now I would not look at 2015-2016 models.

I have a 2016 and it is fine for commuting to work or running errands. Wish it had a longer range.

That 2017 you found sounds like a good deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not a problem just small batteries. The 2015-2016 has a range of 80 miles. The 2017+ has a range of 125 miles. With 2017 models coming off lease now I would not look at 2015-2016 models.

I have a 2016 and it is fine for commuting to work or running errands. Wish it had a longer range.

That 2017 you found sounds like a good deal.

Thanks for the info. The one I’m going to look at in a few minutes is a 19 for less than 17. Also, can you put a different set of wheels on it? Those aero wheels are pretty dull.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just returned from test drive of 2019. My impressions were not bad ride, a little closed in after coming from larger car, but the biggest issue was road noise emanating from the open trunk. In my sedan the trunk is closed off with the back seats and the shelf. On the end Golf there is not back shelf. Has any owner here shared that irritant and somehow soundproofed that area? I'd so how much impact did it have?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Thanks for the info. The one I’m going to look at in a few minutes is a 19 for less than 17. Also, can you put a different set of wheels on it? Those aero wheels are pretty dull.
The wheels grow on you. I actually like them because it makes it easier to spot other e-golfs on the road.

The Bridgestone Ecopias on the other hand are trash. I replaced mine with Michelin CrossClimate and night and day difference, especially while driving on rain or snow.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Is that a retractable vinyl cover that I have seen on other cars?
It is NOT a roll-up window shade style as the Golf Wagens come with. My 2019 e-Golf has a rigid parcel shelf that mounts behind the rear seat. It is stowable under the rear cargo floor, if you wanted to remove it. If the previous owner disposed of it and it is no longer with the used car: I have seen GTI/Golf-R owners who have been willing to part with that part separately. You just have to watch for someone parting a car with an internal combustion engine. It's the same parcel shelf between the gasoline and the EV versions. It takes 6 seconds to install it.

If it suits your needs, as a commuter car. I'd say go for it. I love mine, and I have only racked up 5,500 miles in 15 months. Even my wife loves ours, and I was skeptical how well she'd convert to liking an EV being that she's driven a VW TDI for 14 years.
Wheels are entirely changeable, but most larger diameter, wider width, less "pizza pan" looking wheels come with a range penalty. I charge once or twice a week, so range penalty means little to me. Here are my range penalties (205-50-R17 Continental PureContacts on 17x7.5" Audi A3 wheels):

Be warned, if you live where there is a season called winter, EV's come with a range penalty in winter, especially if you want cabin heat. I live where it's summer year round. I think I've had occasion to use the seat heaters under 5 times.

On your question of used vehicle pricing: As VW was closing out this model (2019), deals were available on them NEW for incredible pricing at some dealerships. The incredible pricing came with an added potential savings due to the IRS EV Tax Credit, in addition to any state and local incentives. All I received was the federal tax credit, but it was totally worth my while to acquire a commuter vehicle that never needs gas while VW was offering heavy incentives to push these cars off the lots. Do I wish it had more range: Sure, but we still have two TDI's if I need to drive hundreds of miles without stopping.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is NOT a roll-up window shade style as the Golf Wagens come with. My 2019 e-Golf has a rigid parcel shelf that mounts behind the rear seat. It is stowable under the rear cargo floor, if you wanted to remove it. If the previous owner disposed of it and it is no longer with the used car: I have seen GTI/Golf-R owners who have been willing to part with that part separately. You just have to watch for someone parting a car with an internal combustion engine. It's the same parcel shelf between the gasoline and the EV versions. It takes 6 seconds to install it.

If it suits your needs, as a commuter car. I'd say go for it. I love mine, and I have only racked up 5,500 miles in 15 months. Even my wife loves ours, and I was skeptical how well she'd convert to liking an EV being that she's driven a VW TDI for 14 years.
Wheels are entirely changeable, but most larger diameter, wider width, less "pizza pan" looking wheels come with a range penalty. I charge once or twice a week, so range penalty means little to me. Here are my range penalties (205-50-R17 Continental PureContacts on 17x7.5" Audi A3 wheels):

Be warned, if you live where there is a season called winter, EV's come with a range penalty in winter, especially if you want cabin heat. I live where it's summer year round. I think I've had occasion to use the seat heaters under 5 times.

On your question of used vehicle pricing: As VW was closing out this model (2019), deals were available on them NEW for incredible pricing at some dealerships. The incredible pricing came with an added potential savings due to the IRS EV Tax Credit, in addition to any state and local incentives. All I received was the federal tax credit, but it was totally worth my while to acquire a commuter vehicle that never needs gas while VW was offering heavy incentives to push these cars off the lots. Do I wish it had more range: Sure, but we still have two TDI's if I need to drive hundreds of miles without stopping.
The is another one of these at a local dealer that is white, and better color, and has the trunk cover. I'm going to take it for a ride tomorrow to see if it makes a difference. What are the standard dimensions of the wheel and tires that come on the e Golf? I assume the wheel options for the gas Golf lineup will work. If so, I'll look at an inch smaller wheel with a fatter tire to soften the ride a little.

·
Registered
270 Posts
The is another one of these at a local dealer that is white, and better color, and has the trunk cover. I'm going to take it for a ride tomorrow to see if it makes a difference. What are the standard dimensions of the wheel and tires that come on the e Golf? I assume the wheel options for the gas Golf lineup will work. If so, I'll look at an inch smaller wheel with a fatter tire to soften the ride a little.
Wheels are standard VW (car) fittment since 2006: 5x112, 57.1mm hub-centric. The Astana wheels that came on the e-Golf are 16", width is 6.5". My 2019 came with 205-55-R16 Bridgestone Ecopia 422+ low rolling resistance tires. The stock wheel + tire combination weighs 39.8lbs on my bathroom scale.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I looked at Tire Rack and they sell a nice 5 spoke with those dimensions but two different offsets. Is there one that is correct? The offsets available were 38mm, 42mm, and 45mm. I would want the one that is the same as the factory wheels.

I'm wondering if anyone has installed any soundproofing to improve/lessen the road noise I mentioned earlier?

·
Registered
270 Posts
I looked at Tire Rack and they sell a nice 5 spoke with those dimensions but two different offsets. Is there one that is correct? The offsets available were 38mm, 42mm, and 45mm. I would want the one that is the same as the factory wheels.

I'm wondering if anyone has installed any soundproofing to improve/lessen the road noise I mentioned earlier?
Offset on the VW Astana (stock e-Golf wheel: 5GE601025) is 46mm. What you're looking for is LIGHTWEIGHT wheels. If the weight of your new wheel + tire total more than 39.8lbs, your range will suffer. Your range will suffer slightly simply from going with a 5-spoke design rather than a pizza plate like the Astana's. Air flow down the sides of the car is less turbulent with a pizza plate than with a 5-spoke design. This is why some e-Golf owners have opted to use black decals applied to their Astana wheels to change the appearance of the wheel without changing the flat shape.

Sound proofing not necessary if you simply insert the factory cargo cover intended for the cargo area. All in, driving an EV is several orders of magnitude quieter than driving an ICE vehicle, even a luxury vehicle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have 15K on this 2019 eGolf SEL. Makes for a great commuter car for me. Virtual Cockpit rocks! I'm okay with the pancake wheels.

I received the $7,500 Federal tax credit, $1,500 MA Rebate and my employer dished up $5,000. Brings the $40K car down to $30K.

This is my EarthyCrunchy VeeWee. I also have a '17 GSW 4motion APR Stage 1 to balance things out....

IMG-1329.jpg

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Offset on the VW Astana (stock e-Golf wheel: 5GE601025) is 46mm. What you're looking for is LIGHTWEIGHT wheels. If the weight of your new wheel + tire total more than 39.8lbs, your range will suffer. Your range will suffer slightly simply from going with a 5-spoke design rather than a pizza plate like the Astana's. Air flow down the sides of the car is less turbulent with a pizza plate than with a 5-spoke design. This is why some e-Golf owners have opted to use black decals applied to their Astana wheels to change the appearance of the wheel without changing the flat shape.

Sound proofing not necessary if you simply insert the factory cargo cover intended for the cargo area. All in, driving an EV is several orders of magnitude quieter than driving an ICE vehicle, even a luxury vehicle.
Do you know if the smaller offsets will fit. I suppose they would pull the profile in 3-7mm giving it a slightly slimmer look in the wheel well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After reading lots of posts in the forum I've determined that it's desirable to have a heat pump and the fast charging feature. Do you have to buy an SEL to get these or can they be an option on a 016 through 019?

·
Registered
109 Posts
After reading lots of posts in the forum I've determined that it's desirable to have a heat pump and the fast charging feature. Do you have to buy an SEL to get these or can they be an option on a 016 through 019?
Heat pumps only come on SEL models. Regarding DC Fast Charging:

1) All 2015's and 2019's have it, regardless of trim level.
2) All SEL's have it.
3) It was an option on 2016 - 2018 SE trims.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Heat pumps only come on SEL models. Regarding DC Fast Charging:

1) All 2015's and 2019's have it, regardless of trim level.
2) All SEL's have it.
3) It was an option on 2016 - 2018 SE trims.
Thanks for the info. Do you tell if the car has it by looking for the two lower plug-in holes in the power receptor at the right rear? If they are missing then there is no quick charge function. Not sure if that’s a good way to describe it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Thanks for the info. Do you tell if the car has it by looking for the two lower plug-in holes in the power receptor at the right rear? If they are missing then there is no quick charge function. Not sure if that’s a good way to describe it.
If you are asking about the DC fast charging, then yes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts