VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so last night I was doing some work on my car and it required me to remove my battery. Anybody who has ever taken there battery off knows about that little "T" shaped bolt that you put a washer and lock nut on that goes throug the little hole in your battery cables. Well me being the "HUGE MANLY MAN" that I am I over tightened it when I was putting my battery back in and it snapped it right in half so now my positive battery cable is just sitting around the battery post and isn't tightened down which isn't good because my car will loose power if it comes off. Huge safety issue. So today I go to my local VW Dealer and they tell me you can't buy that "T" shaped bolt seperate you have to purchase the whole battery cable which runs $40 beans
So just wanna let everyone know so that if they happen to break theirs it sucks. Anybody know a good alternative to that "T" bolt that I could use to clamp it together? Don't really wanna spend $40 for a battery cable just to get a .10 cent bolt.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Re: Why VW is the stupidest car company (shawny0123)

So why is VW stupid. You think they are they only car company that does things like that?

·
Banned
2,114 Posts
Re: Why VW is the stupidest car company (simplyredvw)

Quote, originally posted by simplyredvw »
So why is VW stupid. You think they are they only car company that does things like that?

yea agreed, so VW is stupid because you don't know the proper amount of force to tighten a screw....

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no they are stupid because they don't sell a .10 cent bolt seperatley you have to buy an entire battery cable in order to get it the parts guy was even like "that's vw for ya"

·
Registered
214 Posts
Ha, if you wanna talk stupid on battery problems, I had to take off the driver's front wheel and the fender cover to get to the battery on my chrysler. That was a biotch in the rain and 35 degree weather.

·
Registered
31,002 Posts
Re: (shawny0123)

Well lets see...the parts guy is working retail, basically trying to make sales. He's going to side w/the customer.
VW isn't going to create part numbers for ".10 bolts", otherwise the infrastructure costs for the geometric increase of p/n's for every screw, nut, washer, wiring sheath, harness clip, etc would make these "cheap" parts not so cheap anymore.
Sometimes you have to suck it up. Get out the fastener box and get creative. Should take 10 whole minutes to rectify with a clamp.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
when it is a part that is "unique" yes they should stock it especially when the item is a rather important piece considering it deals with the safety of driving your car. You really think some temp worker entering a new p/n for this part in a microsoft data base is gonna increase the price substantially? The point is I will have to figure out a new way to make sure it is clamped on securely because this is not an everyday item that you can go to any pepboys and purchase...therefore what VW is doing is making it impossible to buy this "unique" item without purchasing the entire battery cable because they know they can which in my book is poor buisness practice.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts

Then you've never worked on Fords.....LOL
To drain anti-freeze for flush:
1. Remove front bumper
2. Jack car up
3. Remove bottom radiator hose.
remove bottom radiator hose? WTF???
why isn't there a plug like everyone else? Cuz it's a Ford.
And that's just the start. Try changing power steering hoses or a fuel pump! LOL
VW's are pretty easy cars to work on compared to many other cars that I've had the displeasure of having under my backyard tree.

·
Registered
7,919 Posts
Re: Why VW is the stupidest car company (shawny0123)

VW is stoopid huh?
If you disconnect the battery while the car is running it will not turn off. No saftey issue at all, just you behind the wheel.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
umm actually it does interrupt your car I know because when I was driving down the road today the battery must have lost contact for a split second because all the electrical stuff in the car turned off and than went back on....if your driving down the road and things suddenly shut off with out you knowing yes I call that a safety issue don't try to belittle me with the obvious statement that your car won't turn off. The point of the post which mentally challenged individuals such as yourself seem to be missing is that there is no reason why they should not sell a the part I was looking for. Don't try to flame me act your age.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts

What you don't seem to understand is VW is not the only company that doesn't sell a small part by itself from the main component. A cable might go bad, so whole cable with attachment hardware sold. Someone busting a bolt by their own foolishness is not always factored in. A friend of mine was changing a part on his Chevy truck and accidentally sliced a 3" length of hose. Since that part seldom went bad by itself, he had to purchase that hose as an assembly with a 2' long pipe and another 8" piece of hose attached. $55 for what he thought should only be a $5 part. It's not the car company as much as it is the bean-counters trying to maximize profit while figuring expense to outside suppliers. So either figure another way to clamp that cable down or buy the part, but VW won't consider that a safety issue under normal circumstances.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
wow what a bunch off a$holes you are all figured I'd get this from posting in the 20th forum nothing but a bunch of jackoffs. Since you are all so perfect and nothing ever goes wrong when you are working on your cars I should have figured...ohh that's right you all pay some one to install parts because you're afraid to work on your own car. All I wanna know is if anybody had a good solution to this problem because I can't be the only one that ever broke/lost this little part before instead of logical answers all I get are a bunch of idiots that post stupid sheot. What happened to this website?

·
Registered
31,002 Posts

What happened is that realism and pragmatism is slowly creeping in...thankfully.
Which is infinitely better than frustrated owners posting various "outrages" to hopefully get a communal "atta-boy".
So the responses you're receiving aren't a "Hell yeah, effin' stealership basitds..." type of reply that (give it about 20 seconds) still sadly permeate these forums. If anything the realistic replies are the farthest from "idiot, stupid sheot", as you say.
You're not wrong, and those who aren't patting you on the back for exposing your frustration aren't right either. There are quite a few ways to see your situation, and since this is a wide-open forum, to expect a "mob" to rally behind you and call for an end to VW profit-mongering (or whatever it is that specifically has left you ticked off) isn't likely going to happen.
Bottom line, the part costs what it costs. OEM parts from a dealer have never been cheap. Nothing shocking there. If anything VW and their not-so-stupid dealer base are doing the right thing. Captive audience capitalism = profits. Don't like it? Don't buy there.
There is a massive vendor directory on this website that could probably do better than $40. I would hope you have it, and I'd hope that all of us enthusiast-gearheads have it...and that's what I like to call "Dubber ingenuity". That's free. And it's hugely faster than waiting for an answer to be spooned-up.
Here's my idea. Find a bolt that will slip up into the battery cable just like that "T" thing. Buy the nut for this bolt too. The battery post isn't super-tall, but it's not stubby either, so see if you can slide a thin pair of pliers to hold the now-inverted bolt head. Then, drive down the nut...just don't overtorque this time. If the bolt head is making the whole thing too "tall" and the battery connection is getting lifted off the battery post, Dremel the bolt head thinner and buy a mm or two.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Re: (Jman5000)

just go to a friggin car stereo shop, and buy a new battery connecting block.. it has spots for all of your factory cables, and even has a pretty gold (or chrome) finish to it... most run about $10-$15 or so.
or look on crutchfield.com.. im sure they have one there.

·
Registered
7,919 Posts

Quote, originally posted by shawny0123 »
wow what a bunch off a$holes you are all figured I'd get this from posting in the 20th....

and his most logical statement after he broke his car, "Real men of Genius" The guy that breaks his car and the part is expensive and the 20th forum sucks because of it. LOL

I was joking before about "just you behind the wheel" but not now.
If you knew how to work on cars you would know not to overtighten small diamater bolts, and im sure you could come up with a cheap way to fix it, like change the terminal.
If I where you (man that would suck) I would light the car on fire.
PS or POs to you
I just started my car and disconnected the battery for a few seconds and guess what, it kept running.
Modified by SuckerPunch at 9:29 PM 2-14-2004

Modified by SuckerPunch at 9:38 PM 2-14-2004

1 - 20 of 21 Posts