VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe its cause the last two were from the jyd but I am wondering what could cause this...
The first fuel pump I got was the whole unit from the bottom of an 88 Jetta at the jyd...it ran for a while but then quit. So I went to the jyd and got another main pump and put that in...it ran for about an hour. Next day...no gas...
The wiring is good, the in-tank pump is delivering gas as well...the fuel line to the front of the car is clear....the gas is good...
both of the old main pumps still buzz when they have 12 volts but they make a nasty type sound and deliver no fuel anymore...
any ideas what could cause this??

· Banned
5,459 Posts
the transfer pump might not be delivering enough fuel to the main... just cause its pumping doesn't means its working properly. go throug the steps in the bentley to test out the transfer pump. I'm in the same boat. My golf has been parked for 2 weeks cause the main pump has gone... its still running but is only getting enough fuel to idle and the pump is howling terrible. haven't tested the transfer pump but i'm sure it isn't working as well.

· Registered
2,461 Posts
Re: (DanielAdams)

If you use salvage pumps, you will always have this problem.
These parts don't store well, even when stored in oil (IME).
When they sit in the yard, the fuel will start to deposit varnish and any abrasive contaminants.
You might want to double check that you don't have particulate material in your tank.

Modified by lotus7 at 6:23 AM 7-14-2003

· Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (lotus7)

Quote, originally posted by lotus7 »
If you use salvage pumps, you will always have this problem.

thats what I am afraid of...
this is a car I am trying to sell so if $200 goes in for a pump..$200 does not come back out

· Registered
10,420 Posts
Re: (greya2)

Quote, originally posted by greya2 »
I think mine is going to die. It makes this really high pitched whine. Sound familiar? Oh and at high speeds on hot days it will have short lapses of power which i assume is the fuel pump.

That's sounds more like a problem with the transfer pump in the tank. The whining is the main pump getting insufficient fuel and possibly a bit of cavitation in the pump as a result. You can recreate the same sound on a healthy pump by pinching off the fuel supply. Checking the operation of the transfer pump is pretty easy and requires no specialized tools, consult a good manual (preferably a Bentley) for the proper procedures
Quote, originally posted by greya2 »
how can you tell if its the pump or the relay thats bad?

If you can hear he pump, your relay's almost certainly okay, to verify this, bypass the relay with a jumper wire, is the problem persists, the relay wasn't at fault.

Modified by ABA Scirocco at 10:02 AM 7-19-2003

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.