VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11,060 Posts
Re: Why would you want to de-stroke? (Power5)

Lower compression for FI ala the 2.7TT engine. 2.8 litre V6 30v block destroked for the twin turbochargers

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Re: Why would you want to de-stroke? (ZoomBoy)

Lower piston speeds , Lower rod angularity
All allowing more top end power & potential for high RPMs
with a slight trade off in torque.

I have been toying with the idea of de-stroking a vr6 for the past few months, It would allow some amazing top end power potential.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Why would you want to de-stroke? (IntakeManifold)

Quote, originally posted by IntakeManifold »
I have been toying with the idea of de-stroking a vr6 for the past few months, It would allow some amazing top end power potential.

I was talking with a few people and we're thinking about doing it just to do it, we knew that its not really done and that there are some power advantages, but just werent quite sure what. Ignorant but still want to do it for no reason.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Re: Why would you want to de-stroke? (speedgeek)

One thing I was thingking about doing was get a slightly longer rod and try getting some custom forged pistons with a reduced compression height to allow for clearance
I have not really done the math on it yet.

·
Registered
491 Posts

Lower piston speeds , Lower rod angularity
All allowing more top end power & potential for high RPMs
with a slight trade off in torque.

you'll still have the vr's asthma problem of being a 12v, but some extreme boosting can always help-im just not think an NA vr will make power pask 7500, ever. sigh.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Re: Why would you want to de-stroke? (thirdstorystart)

Quote, originally posted by thirdstorystart »
you'll still have the vr's asthma problem of being a 12v, but some extreme boosting can always help-im just not think an NA vr will make power pask 7500, ever. sigh.

24v is different story

·
Registered
2,720 Posts

Quote, originally posted by thirdstorystart »

Thats why you would want a BVH, ported and polished.. Im sure with enough machining you could get the head to flow well enough to support power up top http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
11,621 Posts
Re: Why would you want to de-stroke? (MunKyBoy)

I keep remembering the Speed Channels Ferrari special where a 1liter 12 cylinder made 1000hp at 20,000 rpm. Now that's what I call destroked http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
303 Posts
Re: Why would you want to de-stroke? (ZoomBoy)

Quote, originally posted by ZoomBoy »
Lower compression for FI ala the 2.7TT engine. 2.8 litre V6 30v block destroked for the twin turbochargers

Wow 7 posts and no one caught this? The Audi 30v V6 is debored not destroked down to 2.7 liters for increased block integrity.
As for the destroking a VR, like someone said above maybe a 24v but on a 12v its not worth it(at least for the time being it isn't). Keep in mind with the current mods available a stock stroke VR can be coaxed physically to rev out to 7500+rpms although by 7000 power is pretty much down hill, yes even with a BVH and lumpy cams. Heck even Anthony Dowd (95GLX) with ITBs pulling the highest numbers recorded on a stock block NA VR power is still falling off past 7k.

Like stated earlier if your gonna consider destroking the only way your gonna make power that high is with a big fat turbo.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts

A 2 valve per cylinder head is not the problem. it is just not made for top end power as it sits,
I believe that the 12v head can be made to produce good top end power with the neccesary knowledge.
And if im not mistaken, Anthony's cylinder head is still stock or somewhat stock.
I hope Joe Pinto will chime in soon.

·
Registered
11,060 Posts
Re: Why would you want to de-stroke? (ElWapo973)

Quote, originally posted by ElWapo973 »

Wow 7 posts and no one caught this? The Audi 30v V6 is debored not destroked down to 2.7 liters for increased block integrity.
As for the destroking a VR, like someone said above maybe a 24v but on a 12v its not worth it(at least for the time being it isn't). Keep in mind with the current mods available a stock stroke VR can be coaxed physically to rev out to 7500+rpms although by 7000 power is pretty much down hill, yes even with a BVH and lumpy cams. Heck even Anthony Dowd (95GLX) with ITBs pulling the highest numbers recorded on a stock block NA VR power is still falling off past 7k.

Like stated earlier if your gonna consider destroking the only way your gonna make power that high is with a big fat turbo.

Yeah, thats what I meant.

·
Registered
303 Posts

A 2 valve per cylinder head is not the problem. it is just not made for top end power as it sits,
I believe that the 12v head can be made to produce good top end power with the neccessary knowledge.

Hence my statement (for the time being) in parentheses.
The majority of worked heads out there are either stock heads with some porting done or stock heads with bigger valves and the former. If you've noticed some of the dynos on worked heads they undeniably make more power but the follow almost the same curve and fall almost as quickly in the upper rpms. It's like looking at 2 mountains 1 bigger(being a BVH) than the other but both looking exactly the same in proportions. We need someone willing to lay down the resources and time for some serious R&D. It will be a proud day for me when I see a 12v making power to redline in NA form.

And if im not mistaken, Anthony's cylinder head is still stock or somewhat stock.
I hope Joe Pinto will chime in soon.

Im not sure what head Anthony was running but I remember Joe was running stock valves with some major porting and has been running numbers equal to or better than most peoples BVHs! He's awaiting larger valves on top of the work he's done and is hoping to get some nice numbers from that setup. Looking promising indeed.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts

One thing I was thingking about doing was get a slightly longer rod and try getting some custom forged pistons with a reduced compression height to allow for clearance
I have not really done the math on it yet.

piston is going to travel the same amount.
to change stroke you have to get different crank.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Re: Why would you want to de-stroke? (RedDevil)

Quote, originally posted by RedDevil »

piston is going to travel the same amount.
to change stroke you have to get different crank.

Obviously, but less rod angularity, is going to give you the ability to pull more rpms

·
Registered
4,683 Posts

a de-stroked engine gives faster revs. it also gives a different kind of power in different points of the power band. its like when chevy guys take a 286 crank and put it in a 350 motor to make a 327 out of it. the car would rev to say 10,000 rpm far better then any 350 would keeping the same bore diameter.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts