VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The report from Blackstone labs on my oil analysis:
Got my transmission oil analysis from Blackstone.
After 99,901 miles:
"Good idea, changing this oil out. 99,901 miles on it? Really? We don't know where the oil's viscosity started out but if this really was a 75W/90, it isn't any longer. As an engine oil this would be an SAE 20W or a 5W/20. We doubt the wear metals show any problems but they are high enough to make the oil abrasive. If you put 75W/90 back in you should be good to go for about 50,000 miles unless you get a boatload of contamination in the oil. Check back in 25,000 miles and we will tell you where you are at."
I'll be going with their recommendation. 50k from now on with gear oil changes. So much for the dealer's claim of "lifetime".

·
Registered
12,103 Posts
Re: Why you should change your manual transmission gear oil (ctobio)

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm
I've been noticing a bit more "notchyness" this winter as temps have dropped (to a frigid 40 degrees, but hey that's colder than 80!)...I've ordered a drain tool from ESC and when it gets here I'm dumpin the oil and putting in Redline MTL 75/90W...I had a BMW that got super notchy..could hardly make the first 1/2 shift in the morning after about 80K miles....switched to Redline and it was like nite 'n day...smoothed it right out! Drain oil while tranny is good 'n hot so you dump as much "crud" as possible in the old oil! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Why you should change your manual transmission gear oil (spitpilot)

My shifting smoothed out significantly after changing the oil, but there's still a slight mechanical notchiness. I'm chalking that up to the fact that one of my motor mounts is shot, as I can feel a little vibration in the shifter as well.
I also ought to look at the shifter U-joints.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts