VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This trailer was attached to back of my friends van on the way back from our vacation in Miami...my buddy had the idea to drive at 90 mph with the thing on the back...not the best idea...it took 4 hours for a u-haul service truck to show up.

·
Registered
27,070 Posts
Re: Why you should never take a U-haul trailer to 90 mph (matt007)

Looks like the infamous sloth attacked it?

·
Registered
27,070 Posts
Re: Why you should never take a U-haul trailer to 90 mph (PineappleMonkey)

I see it!

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
yea... thats quite dumb. two winters ago i was behind (about a 1/2 mi) an old Ford pick-up pulling a trailer. the trailer flipped and tossed the entire truck on its top... was REALLY scarry.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Why you should never take a U-haul trailer to 90 mph (ScrapinSi)

quote:[HR][/HR]Does that say cops are your friends? [HR][/HR]​
Yea it does, we plastered the trailer with weird signs...."cops are your friends" "we like cheese" "how much wood can a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood." My buddy took the graveyard shift driving, everyone else in thevan was sleeping, he was driving a consistant 85-95 mph for a few hours, we had just changed drivers, when about 10 min later we were doing about 60-65 mph, the tire blew out...the driver we just switched to, downshifted and then carefully pulled over.

·
Registered
18,462 Posts
Re: Why you should never take a U-haul trailer to 90 mph (tngdesi)

What were you hauling in the trailer, worm pickers?

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: Why you should never take a U-haul trailer to 90 mph (Double-V)

We had 8 people in that van, and all the luggage in the trailer.......cops that did show up (in a Camaro Z-28) said that there were tire chunks for about mile down the highway from out trailer....

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: Why you should never take a U-haul trailer to 90 mph (mtrainVR6)

I will make sure I pass that message on to my buddy!!!

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Re: Why you should never take a U-haul trailer to 90 mph (tngdesi)

I saw something like that happen before. I was coming up behind a truck with an overloaded trailer (single axle, two wheels per side), and I could smell burning rubber. Just as I'm about to blow by this accident waiting to happen, I hear a loud pop and see that the inside tire on the left side is coming apart.
I kept on the gas and got by the trailer, and then I noticed he was finally slowing down.

·
Banned
12,115 Posts
Re: Why you should never take a U-haul trailer to 90 mph (towerymt)

There are a few well-known practices when towing:
CHeck the lug nuts
Check the bearings
Check the tire pressure
Check to make sure you are driving at a reasonable speed
I imagine your friend ignored most of these, and he is damn lucky he did not cause a huge accident.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts