VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
4,337 Posts
Re: Why you should use stoneguard on your headlights. (130_R)

Heheh...the weekend I got rear ended I decided to treat myself to that game several times. I didn't notice any new damage, but rolling over those 3" rocks they call gravel roads in Indiana was devilishly fun. Especially when there's a few straight 90 deg. turns....hardly any curve. Guess it's time for the brushguard

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Re: Why you should use stoneguard on your headlights. (Tornado Wolfie)

ayayay, man, the most damage i get when rallyin is gravel scuff marks on the vr6 spoiler. I ugess youre more hard-core than me.
blaze on!!

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
Re: Why you should use stoneguard on your headlights. (VWsuperhero)

I believe it holds the glass (plastic...whatever) tought sort of. Its extra re-inforcement is all. Its like.... they make that window tint that makes your windows bullet proof.... its just really thick adhesive tint that keeps the glass from shattering (but in this case it will still crack, you just dont die
)

·
Registered
2006 P+ A4 3.2 Avant, 2011 C'Dale Bad Boy, 2014 C'Dale Carbon Synapse, 2019 P+ Q5
41,531 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]
I was playing my favorite game, swedish rally driver sunday, and when I get home that is what my light looked like.[HR][/HR]​
nice one dude!! welcome to the club

Drew you wanna share your pics too?

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Why you should use stoneguard on your headlights. (The_Hamster)

quote:[HR][/HR]ah well, at least they were e-codes, which are actually cheaper around here than new stock ones.... oh well.[HR][/HR]​
No way, how much do e-codes go for up there. They go for 400 a set in my neck of the woods.

·
Registered
7,748 Posts
Re: Why you should use stoneguard on your headlights. (16v)

Working in the glass industry, I can tell you how it works. The stoneguard is a layer of a plastic material that absorbs some of the energy when the rock hits your light. This stuff will prevent most of the smaller rocks from breaking our lights, but it only works to a point.
As for the tint stuff you put on the windows to make them bullet resistant (there is no such thing as bullet proof glass) basically it just keeps the window from colapsing. Most BR glass is made up of several layers of glass (like a really thick windshield) and is at least 1" thick. The tint that they put on windows to make them BR will be lucky to withstand one bullet yet alone several.
Trivia fact: the safest place to be if some one is robbing a bank drive through is on the counter behind the BR glass.

Sorry for the long somewhat off topic post, but hey I'm an engineering geek and proud of it.

·
Registered
7,748 Posts
Re: Why you should use stoneguard on your headlights. (Fettes Brot)

quote:[HR][/HR]We can get e-codes in Calgary for about $110 each Canadian.[HR][/HR]​
Is that for aero lights? If so I wanna look into these.

·
Registered
12,784 Posts
Re: Why you should use stoneguard on your headlights. (1987&2001Jettas)

stone guards? come on people...we're driving volkswagen here..not ford bronco. Our cars arent RALLYE...so save yourselves the money and the headaches and stay in the streets and highways..not off road rallying...

·
Registered
26,702 Posts
Re: Why you should use stoneguard on your headlights. (MyBlackGti)

quote:[HR][/HR]stone guards? come on people...we're driving volkswagen here..not ford bronco. Our cars arent RALLYE...so save yourselves the money and the headaches and stay in the streets and highways..not off road rallying...
[HR][/HR]​
We still have to deal with dump trucks on our roads. I'm glad I had stoneguard on my e-codes on my scirocco. Those are hella expensive to begin with!

·
Registered
27 Posts

When I bought the replacement jetta, which I believe must have been owned by an older person there were stone guards it the trunk . I dont have any pics but they just slide over the lens and held in place by the tension of the bottom and top tab. I don't run with 'em except on road trips in memory of a nice chip (hole) recieved after having to chain up over the pass to Reno. Anyways they were produced by Perfect Fit LTD. Calgary Canada. I don't know if these are available or if the company is still around.

·
Registered
2006 P+ A4 3.2 Avant, 2011 C'Dale Bad Boy, 2014 C'Dale Carbon Synapse, 2019 P+ Q5
41,531 Posts
Re: Why you should use stoneguard on your headlights. (MyBlackGti)

quote:[HR][/HR]stone guards? come on people...we're driving volkswagen here..not ford bronco. Our cars arent RALLYE...so save yourselves the money and the headaches and stay in the streets and highways..not off road rallying...
[HR][/HR]​
Dude I drive 300+ miles per week commuting on the highway and my car has been pelted with stones, pebbles, sticks, bugs, cigarettes, chunks of ice, and the odd plastic planting pot:

my windshield has taken a beating and I just put my rallye lights back on this summer after a 2 year search for a replacement lens.
If you have expensive glass up front you're a fool for not having the stone guard plastic on the glass.

·
Registered
10,045 Posts
Re: Why you should use stoneguard on your headlights. (B(C)orrado)

quote:[HR][/HR]I believe it holds the glass (plastic...whatever) tought sort of. Its extra re-inforcement is all. Its like.... they make that window tint that makes your windows bullet proof.... its just really thick adhesive tint that keeps the glass from shattering (but in this case it will still crack, you just dont die
)[HR][/HR]​
Does it work?... testimonials wanted

·
Registered
7,979 Posts

You need to look harder. Hella E-codes only go for $90 apiece; with the bracket. Check the www.puma-access.com page.
FYI, Stongard is a rubber laminate that is 84 Mil thick. I think it's worth the investment just to avoid having to go through the hassle of replacing a light.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.