VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Allright i know that I am a newby. But i do not understand something.
WHY does everyone here have to be so short with one another?
I mean I look a threads where someone is asking for help with a genuine problem, and boom Here come the comments about did you search first?
Aren't we here to help each other?
Also if someone posted a new thread on something that was done several weeks ago why does everyone feel the need to say how lame the thread is?
if it is so lame then why are you posting in it?
I am sorry if this upsets anyone it is just something i do not understand.
That being said Does anyone know what will happen if i remove the secondary air pump off of my 2.0.

Modified by dajester87 at 12:51 AM 8-21-2006

· Registered
9,411 Posts
Re: Why? (MrcinaGTI)

this is a genuine, heart-felt thread where the OP is trying to bring the MkIV community together as one people under the VW emblem...
but since it has no MKIV content
I
B
T
L

and really it's because almost anything that a noob, or pretty much any one, can bring up has already been discussed in another thread and people are just trying to steer them in the right direction. It's kind like music...pretty much everything has been covered and for something to be good it has to be new.

Modified by FMF at 9:48 PM 8-20-2006

· Registered
9,559 Posts
Re: Why? (dajester87)

if you want a more personal forum.. find a regional one.. where people know eachother more.. it just happens because it is such a large forum, and people hate people, and everyone hates everyone, and everyone is a moron http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
3,546 Posts

Standard answer: It uses up thread space and floods the first page with "worthless" threads (aka: threads without pic whores).
Truth: People like to think their better than someone else, the want to up their post count without even though they have nothing to say, people http://****************.com/smile/emlove.gif drama (it's Vortex afterall).
But seriously, search has a ton of stuff; I don't think I've started a non-pic thread in the last year...

· Registered
388 Posts

The short answer to "Why?" -- Because.
The longish answer... its a community. Like any other one, you get quality, then quantity, and crap and some really cool stuff... But somehow, crap always floats to the top
Just ignore what you don't like and move on - its just not worth dwelling on (on the internet and real life).
As for "Aren't we here to help each other?" -- well, sorta. I'm more likely to help someone (with anything) when I see they have at least attempted to help themselves... in this case, searching. Its quite clear when someone has searched or not, because he or she will likely tie in what he or she has already found/learned.

· Registered
19,358 Posts
Re: Why? (trebuchet03)

There are some really genuine answers in here ironically.
If you don't remember correctly, when you signed up for VwVortex, you claimed to have read and understood all the new forum guidelines and rules. So! In that respect - by not searching you are simply abandoning what was told to you by VMG staff when you clicked that little box. By being here, you understood that you should search first, ask second.
Also, the truth is that when MK4's were new, they required a certain level of money and understanding to attain. Nowadays, with the price sub $10k, people who do not even know anything about cars can own them... at the age of 16. Im not saying people knew anything about them before, but average intelligence of the forums has gone significantly down. People enjoy asking questions like... "Can i see GLI springs on non GLIs"... or "What's a good exhaust for my 2.0." Or the wonderful occasional thread that no one understands but becomes somehow something we all regard as Vortex History... like the Red Rotors or the Crubs...
All in all it comes down to the people who know the answers are too stubborn and angry to say them, and the people asking the questions are too stubborn and oblivious to search and use their noggin.

· Registered
20,901 Posts
Re: Why? (idwurks)

did you search?
jk
no, but seriously, the search tool can bring you lots of info. if you cant find the answer in the threads you found, THEN create a thread.

· Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Why? (2ndTimesACharm)

I am fully aware that you can find some great things with the search tap. But sometims you cannot. And sometimes If a person is in desperate need of an answer sometimes it takes forever to find one that amounts to anything.
And i understand useless threads taking up the first page. However my point Is if it is so worthless then why waist your time posting in it? That ony prolongs its life on the first page.

· Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Why? (idwurks)

Well to the person posting the issue it is not worthless, but to others it seems worthless. I only stated it that way due to the post of other users about how worthless threads are that do not contain the statement "i searched ...." or do not contain pics. Sorry.
Plus i work at an auto parts store, so I know all about people with retarded questions. But i am forced to answer them. Here though if you do not want to answer the question, then why respond at all?

Modified by dajester87 at 2:07 AM 8-21-2006

· Registered
4,826 Posts

Quote, originally posted by dajester87 »
Allright i know that I am a newby. But i do not understand something.
WHY does everyone here have to be so short with one another?
I mean I look a threads where someone is asking for help with a genuine problem, and boom Here come the comments about did you search first?
Aren't we here to help each other?
Also if someone posted a new thread on something that was done several weeks ago why does everyone feel the need to say how lame the thread is?
if it is so lame then why are you posting in it?
I am sorry if this upsets anyone it is just something i do not understand.
That being said Does anyone know what will happen if i remove the secondary air pump off of my 2.0.

Modified by dajester87 at 12:51 AM 8-21-2006

1. The search function is the way to get answers/help for questions that you may have.
2. You're right my friend. We are here to help each other. However, take the initiative to use the search function, or check the DIY/FAQ. If we try to help ourselves first, we won't be looked at as "expecting a handout" every time we post. If you don't find what you're looking for, then ask for help. None of us mind helping as long as you(the user) attempt to help yourself as well.
3. If someone saying that a thread is "lame" bothers you, then you don't need to post in it either. Flaming of any kind is unacceptable. If you see it, report it to a moderator. Help is just a "click" away
-Marshall.

Modified by staggered mk4 at 6:04 AM 8-21-2006

· Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: Why? (jakanapapa)

Just to clarify i am not trying to be a whining sobbing baby. I just wanted to know that there were still a few dubbers out there who still cared to help a fellow dubber out. I feel that that is what separates us from the other forums out there. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
And i do not post in a thread that is considered "lame" but i see it because everyone keeps posting in it keeping it on the "HOLY" front page
Trans---mission------Termin----ated Sub----liminal-----Mes--saging----Com--plete

· Registered
2,305 Posts

a couple years ago when I joined the tex it was full of usefull people who actually knew alot about VW's and they would share and offer advice on virtually any technical or simple question you had. these people who offered this quality advice are still here but they save their breath now-a-days due to the lack of maturity on this site. How many times a day do you see a post where a kid has a problem and the first five responses are joking comments because the responders thought they where witty and funny. The bottom line is those people and there dumbass comments serve no purpose on this site and in no way better this community. Likewise ask a technical question in this forum and no-one replies. Why? because they don't know the answer. So you take your question to the technical forum and have to wait awhile for a "maybe" to your answer because the forum moves so slow. The people with valuable insight are slowly turning away from the tex because everyone is to caught up oem hids, front valences, joey modding and headliners to do any real diagnosis and troubleshooting. its a god damn shame that this is what this site is coming to. Poke, rub and who's rocking the most expensive rims on the biggest drop has become the m.o around here. Where is, it used to be some of the most creative solutions and mods that was the m.o around here.
just my 2 cents.
b-

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.