VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
46221 - 46240 of 46252 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Hey folks, back from a long hiatus. The GTI's been sitting for a while and it is def worse for wear(or lack thereof).

I'm wondering if anyone local has a knock box(811 907 397E) for a 85-89 CIS-e set-up laying around I can borrow to test and see if mine is kaput.

I already went though most of the electrical tests and grounds are all cleaned. I need to check continuity in some of the signal wires yet, but the car is on the street and it was getting dark last night when I was doing my testing. Feel free to pm me.

Thanks

·
Registered
388 Posts
Hello Everyone,
I've lived in the area (Marinette) for a few years now, but I've never got involved in an area VW/Audi scene. I am thinking of making the drive over with the family to attend that gtg/cruise in Sturgeon Bay on Oct. 21st as I'm always looking for an excuse to take a drive in my GTI.

Can anyone tell me if this gathering is family friendly? It's fine if it's not. I will just then have to convince my wife to have me be gone for the day. If it is, I need to gauge if my 2 boys (6 and 4), and my wife for that matter, will handle the time in the car.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Hello Everyone,
I've lived in the area (Marinette) for a few years now, but I've never got involved in an area VW/Audi scene. I am thinking of making the drive over with the family to attend that gtg/cruise in Sturgeon Bay on Oct. 21st as I'm always looking for an excuse to take a drive in my GTI.

Can anyone tell me if this gathering is family friendly? It's fine if it's not. I will just then have to convince my wife to have me be gone for the day. If it is, I need to gauge if my 2 boys (6 and 4), and my wife for that matter, will handle the time in the car.
Yeah, it's family friendly. I've had people bring their wives, girlfriends, and kids with. No dogs so far, other than the 2 we had ( now down to 1:() so if your dog can handle the aggressive driving and is friendly around other dogs, people, and kids feel free to bring them with.

I'd link you the past cruise/gtgs I've had, but there isn't much of a point since Photobucket ruined every helpful link that I would have normally posted:mad:

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
If anyone is interested in making the trip to Sturgeon Bay, WI on October 21st, I'm putting on a cruise/gtg starting at 9 am.

Details can be found here --->http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=480490
Hello Everyone,

Only 5 more days until the cruise/gtg.:) It looks like the weather is going to be amazing if the forecast doesn't change and the trees should be in their prime colors to make for a phenomenal cruise.:cool:

See you guys on Saturday morning.:beer:

·
Registered
388 Posts
Only 5 more days until the cruise/gtg.:) It looks like the weather is going to be amazing if the forecast doesn't change and the trees should be in their prime colors to make for a phenomenal cruise.:cool:

See you guys on Saturday morning.:beer:
I am planning to make the drive around the bay and attend with my wife and two boys. Does anyone have any ideas or recommendations as what we should bring for the cookout?

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I am planning to make the drive around the bay and attend with my wife and two boys. Does anyone have any ideas or recommendations as what we should bring for the cookout?
Great to hear:thumbup: Finger food is always a good option, since we usually rough it when it comes to utensils. So think cookies, brownies, cup cakes, chips, water, soda, etc and utensils if you're more civilized ;) If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask.

Other than that see you on Saturday morning at 9. :cool:

·
Registered
388 Posts
My family and I had a great time on the cruise and the GTG in Sturgeon Bay. We were odd ones out with the only non-TDI in the 5 vehicle group. It was great meeting everyone there, and the drive and scenery were top notch.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
My family and I had a great time on the cruise and the GTG in Sturgeon Bay. We were odd ones out with the only non-TDI in the 5 vehicle group. It was great meeting everyone there, and the drive and scenery were top notch.
I was great meeting you and your family at cruise/gtg. Hopefully next year there will be larger showing of gas powered vehicles that will show up for the cruise/gtg;)

We had a perfect day for hitting back back roads of Door County and then had pretty much ideal conditions for grilling some burgers and brats.

Post up some pictures to show everyone what they missed out on.:p

·
Registered
388 Posts
I didn't take many pictures; I guess I was focused on the drive and taking in the scenery. Here are a few of the quick shots I took (please forgive the poor photography skills):

The Sturgeon Bay US Coast Guard Station.

And this was the group stopped at the Washington Island Ferry Terminal.

Next time I'll have to take more pictures of the cars and the roads we cruised.

Kat also took a few short videos clips somewhere along the cruise.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Nice pictures:thumbup: IMO they turned our really nice. Today's smartphones take better pictures than we give them credit for. I remember 10 years ago I got a camera(point and shoot) and it only had 6 megapixels for its resolution. Now today my Samsung S6 has a 12 megapixel camera.:eek:

The best way to put videos on here is to upload them to Youtube and then add the link using the insert video button next to the insert image button.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Nice pictures:thumbup: IMO they turned our really nice. Today's smartphones take better pictures than we give them credit for. I remember 10 years ago I got a camera(point and shoot) and it only had 6 megapixels for its resolution. Now today my Samsung S6 has a 12 megapixel camera.:eek:

The best way to put videos on here is to upload them to Youtube and then add the link using the insert video button next to the insert image button.
What I meant was that I usually try to do better in framing the content of the photos I take. I actually took these with my 20MP point-and-shoot camera. My wife and I just have cheap smartphones (Samsung Galaxy J3) with only 5MP cameras, so I try not to use the phone for pictures that I want to turn out good.

I added some short clips to my post above and also fixed the broken photo links (found out today with this post about the whole Photobucket hosting issue).

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
What I meant was that I usually try to do better in framing the content of the photos I take. I actually took these with my 20MP point-and-shoot camera. My wife and I just have cheap smartphones (Samsung Galaxy J3) with only 5MP cameras, so I try not to use the phone for pictures that I want to turn out good.

I added some short clips to my post above and also fixed the broken photo links (found out today with this post about the whole Photobucket hosting issue).
I get what you're saying now.

Yeah, Photobucket pulled a BS move when they just stopped hosting 3rd party images one day without any real notice. I'm now using imgur.com to host all of my images.

·
I’m not a loser. I’m a winnah!!
44,094 Posts
Looks like you guys had a good time, sorry I missed it. Perhaps a spring time cruise? I really can't wait to get the suspension swapped out on the Baja. I've been trying to find a cheap motor for the Forester winter beater but no luck yet. People are nuts. $700-900 for a 185k-200k motor that probably needs HGs and a timing belt anyday now? WTF? I can buy a running driving Forester that's about the same shape as mine for $1200-1500 all day long. :screwy:

Anyways, I'll hit you up Eric if I'm able to make it up there this fall yet. I'd love to see the Golf. Next free weekend I have I need to put plugs in the wife's Outback. It doesn't seem like fun with the flat6, and it's coil on plug which is awesome when the frame rails are like 2" away lol.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Wow, that sucks that people are asking such an exorbitant amount of money for an engine that should be $500 or so, hopefully you'll be able to find an engine here soon.

I'm out in Denver for the next 2 weeks, so hopefully the weather stays half way decent after I get back if you're able to make it up. Otherwise there is always next year to check the car out, since right now the car needs some maintenance done before it can be driven hard. There's always something with these customized cars.:banghead:

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I'm not sure who is still following this thread, but I figured I would post it on here anyways about the cruise/gtg I'm having on October 20th in Sturgeon Bay. It's a mostly euro cruise/gtg, but if you have switched to a different brand, that's fine by me. :thumbup:

Here's a link to the cruise/gtg. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=488865

Hope to see you in October :beer:

·
Registered
388 Posts
Does anybody on here attend the annual Fox Valley car show hosted by the Northern Wisconsin Volkswagen Club? http://nwvc.weebly.com/2018-vw-car-show-info.html
I'm tossing around the idea of making the 1.5 hr drive down there tomorrow since my wife and kids are away for the weekend and I'm looking for something to do as an alternative to the Menominee MI Waterfront Festival.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Looks like this thread used to be very active, now not so much. Figure I'll give it a shot.

I've got a '17 GTI SE but I'm getting the itch for something a bit different. Leaning toward a 6mt Alltrack with a sorta moderate build - stage 1 at least, IS20 possibly, mild suspension mods (likely maintain the ride heights, just a thicker RSB and maybe some other small tweaks to tighten it up), cat back, and a clutch appropriate for the power. Wheels/tires of course, and mayyyyybe some bigger brakes.

As much as I'd like to do the work myself, I'm just not that experienced working on cars and would have to buy some equipment/tools. Would prefer to have a shop do it. Any suggestions on places in Wisconsin? Anyone else had a Wisconsin shop do a build on an Alltrack?

Thanks from Stevens Point!

·
Registered
16 Golf SE TSI auto. IE tune, K&N filter
359 Posts
The only shop I have experience with is European Performance Group/EPG/Frank Ridenour. Excellent work, fair prices, and quality products. I know I've seen him post pics of a bunch of Audis and R cars, and his shop car is an R32. I assume the Alltracks aren't all that different drive line wise.

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

46221 - 46240 of 46252 Posts