VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys, i know this topic has been covered before, but the search lead me to nothing.
anyways, i have a rough idle when sitting at a light. it search between about 400 and 1000 rpm's, but not all the time. it actually, was running fine when i got closer to work (30 mile drive). and when coming to a stop, the rpm's drop down to around a 200 (almost kills itself). so my question, what do i do to fix it? i just replaced my vacumm lines in febuary. the car ran fine over the winter, until just the other day when it got warmer out (heat off). over the winter (when heats on) it never searched. so are there anything else i can check?
i do need to get my alternator rebuilt this weekend, but that would cause the problem would it? and the line coming from the passenger side intake manifold tot eh intake tube has a hole in it. that is taped up pretty good right now. would that be the problem?

thanx
ja

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: wierd idle... search didn't help (MaDcAp225)

thanx for the info. yeah, i read that once before. i don't remeber if that was one of the lines that got replaced. but i didn't have the problem over the winter. and now it's here again, since it got warmer out. my car is a daily driver, and i like to fix the problems asap. so if there are any other ideas for things to check, please let me know. as i will check that line either at lunch or when i get home tonight. if it is that line, what is the price for a new one? thanx again

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Re: wierd idle... search didn't help (sanity29)

i have the same problem and the guy traced it to either a chip problem(hadnt been reset properly) or an o2 sensor that was corroded...
it idles fine after resettign the chip but i still need to replace my o2 sensor....
hope this helps a bit

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: wierd idle... search didn't help (Dorrado)

gives me more and other ideas for things to check. thanx! where is the o2 sensor located, and what's a new one cost? do you have a stock chip? or and aftermarket one? just carious why it needed to be reseted. thanx

·
Registered
337 Posts

Check the vacuum line from the fuel pressure regulator. Your idle problem sounds like mine. I could predict the traffic lights that it would stall at. When it heated up, it ran a slight bit better. One symptom I had, if I didn't drive her for one to two days, on the first start would blow a fair amount of black/blue smoke. Day to day driving didn't create a smoke problem.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: wierd idle... search didn't help (marcogyver)

where is that located? sorry for my ignorance. but i do know that i replaced 3 vacuum lines a couple of months ago. i figured that was the solution since they all had huge holes inthem. but now that it got warmer out, this idle problem came back. so i'll check all these things. just where is that vacuum line at? and the answers to the questions a few posts above would be great too. thanx guys for the help/ ideas so far. i will be checking these tonight or this weekend.

·
Registered
337 Posts

I had the idle problems and thought I changed all the vacuum hoses but the fuel pressure regulator.
If you look in this photo, strait behind the yellow fan caution lable is the silver fuel pressure regulator. Off of this is a vacuum line to the manifold.

You can see it in this photo. It took it from another thread. Thanks Paul (need_a_VR6)

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

alrighty then. i will check that when i get home. maybe even before i leave work. so the vacuum line runs from the fuel preasure regulator to the intake manifold. does it stay on the driver's side? thanx again guys.

·
Registered
337 Posts

yup, it's only 3" or so. I am assuming that you haven't change this one? It make a 180 degree turn out of the reg. into the manifold and usally cracks.
I hope it's this. Have you notice the smoke prob?

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

don't think that one was replaced. but there hasn't been any smoke. just what would come out normally when i start a car in the morning. so i guess that's good. but i will be checking the hose soon. should there be smoke coming from that hose, or the tail pipe? thanx

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

alrith, i checked that vacuum line. and it is a brand new one. it was in perfect shape. so i guess the only other thing to check would be the o2 sensor. which i think is old and neeeds replacing anyways. so where can i get one, and what do they cost? thanx guys.
ja

·
Registered
409 Posts

some other things you could do for free...
clean the inside of the throttle body in and around the throttle plate.
take off and clean the inside of the idle stabilizer valve
i took off my O2 plug and other plugs and cleaned the contacts and firmly reconnected them. I read somewhere that you can use an eraser to clean the contacts. Anyone hear that one?
Mike
94 Corrado

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.