VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 81 rocco, has a weird warm start problem. With the engine warm, I start it up and it'll idle low. Soon as I do some driving, and pull to a stop it'll idle normal again.
Also if I leave it idling for a while, the idle just gets lower and lower.
Sometimes on a cold start it'll idle at 1500 like it should, other days it doesn't.
Makes me think that it's the air bypass valve going wonkey.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Re: Wierd warm start problem! (dohc)

I have had the same problem. Today i was driving, my 84 scirocco, around the car was good and warm, i shut it off to go into the stealership, came back out and it started up fine then idled low and died, started it up again revved it a bit went 30 ft. through the parking lot and it was fine. Anybody got some ideas??

[Modified by RoccinStrybs84, 10:07 PM 3-17-2003]

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Wierd warm start problem! (RoccinStrybs84)

I'm gonna try disconnecting the auxilary air valve and just set an idle and see what it does.
I'll update you soon.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Re: Wierd warm start problem! (dohc)

I got this kind of problem last fall with my 1983 Scirocco. I would set the idle speed and after driving at highway speed, the engine would die at idle. I tried all sorts of things before I noticed that the idle bypass screw was loose and shutting the valve by itself!!
I put some duct tape on the screw and the idle is now steady at 850 RPM.
In my learning process, I found out that disconnecting the idle air controle would artificially raise the engine speed. I could understand that it needs current to stay shut (when warm) thus closes gradually on cold start-up while the engiine warms up.
As far as your specific problem is concerned, I think that your idle screw is set too low and when the engine gradually warms up it dies! Try pinching the idle air hose shut before you try to set your idle speed. It may work!!
Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts