VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the wife called this morning to inform me that the Passenger side front tire "Exploded". she was about 15 minutes from the house so i grabbed some tools and a floor jack to go change tires. ( this would be faster than VW or BP travel club)
upon arrival, of course she was parked on a steep downhill slope on the side of the road, i proceeded to move the EV to stable/flat ground. the tire is completely flat and there is NO sign of damage. i ask what happened and she tells "Well i let 1 tire drop off the edge of the road and i heard a loud POP!" Well, well, well the story changes a little bit from the original "Exploded" story...

i drop the spare and jack up the front of the EV and find this:

and yes thats a quarter in the picture to give you an idea to the size of the rip....

here is the rim damage, nothing too bad. i will fix it with the trusty Dremel:

of course the EV has only 7000 miles so i only need 1 tire and i call tirerack.com to get an OEM Michelin to match the rest.....$160 shipped.

thankfully they had some in stock.
how was your day?

Modified by FreeStage3 at 9:46 PM 7-14-2003

· Registered
122 Posts
Re: Wife decided i needed to buy a tire....... (FreeStage3)

Not a good way to start the week. Doesn't look like the rim is messed up too much which is good.
"Tire exploding" is pretty good - you have to give her credit for that one

· Registered
1,126 Posts
I think the general equation is
((alloys + low profile tyres) x crap roads)/ F = $ X D
where F is 'The Other Driver Quotient'
D is 'The Dealer Constant', usually an unknown factor
and $ is a made up number that usually ends with lots of zero's

· Registered
33 Posts
Re: Wife decided i needed to buy a tire....... (FreeStage3)

Quote, originally posted by FreeStage3 »

of course the EV has only 7000 miles so i only need 1 tire and i call tirerack.com to get an OEM Michelin to match the rest.....$160 shipped.

thankfully they had some in stock.

It's not a bad idea to swap the spare (new tire) with the 7,000-mile tire on the driver's-front so you have a matched pair of new tires up front and a 7,000-mile spare. If you weren't already planning to do this.
Aaron

· Registered
17,925 Posts
Re: Wife decided i needed to buy a tire....... (spaceshuttle)

Quote, originally posted by spaceshuttle »

It's not a bad idea to swap the spare (new tire) with the 7,000-mile tire on the driver's-front so you have a matched pair of new tires up front and a 7,000-mile spare. If you weren't already planning to do this.
Aaron

I agree...so both fronts are totally "new" and even.

· Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Wife decided i needed to buy a tire....... (spaceshuttle)

Quote, originally posted by spaceshuttle »

Aaron

Very good idea! i will do that.
thanks!

· Registered
190 Posts
Az you saw what happened to my van when my wife drove it

Anyway FYI. Go down to your VW Dealer and get a set of the Michelins for 150 bucks. They sent out a new fax, saying the limit is 3 sets per customer.. I got my quota for both vans

· Registered
17,925 Posts
Re: (FreeStage3)

Quote, originally posted by FreeStage3 »
i don't think that applies to the 2003 model year. mine came with the Michelins as the OEM tire.
if i can take advantage of it please advise.

IIRC it had something to do with the EV as being advertised as having all-season tires and some were equipped with summer-only tires, so VW was giving people with new EVs with summer-only tires the option of getting new tires at a deep discount to make good on the ad. I'm pretty sure that's what it was but I might be fuzzy on the details.

· Registered
217 Posts
Re: (gti_matt)

Quote, originally posted by gti_matt »

IIRC it had something to do with the EV as being advertised as having all-season tires and some were equipped with summer-only tires, so VW was giving people with new EVs with summer-only tires the option of getting new tires at a deep discount to make good on the ad. I'm pretty sure that's what it was but I might be fuzzy on the details.

It was for EVs with the Dunlop SP2000 tires. 2001 for sure, not sure about 2002.
Anyhow, the program may be over - at least according to my dealer. YMMV.

· Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: (blankmange)

got more bad news today. the rim is bent. i watched it spin on the machine and got pissed.
list is $386 for a new one. dealer offered me a deal at $320 plus tax.
i think i am going to try and have it straightened by a wheel shop. $150
i have done this with other wheels and it usually turns out well. keeping my fingers crossed.

· Registered
1,125 Posts
Re: (Macrabbit)

Quote, originally posted by Macrabbit »

Anyway FYI. Go down to your VW Dealer and get a set of the Michelins for 150 bucks. They sent out a new fax, saying the limit is 3 sets per customer.. I got my quota for both vans

Thanks for the tip!
I ordered 1 set today. The EV owner before me order 3 sets! I hope there are still some left... my dealer was going to FAX in the order, so we'll see what happens?

· Registered
190 Posts
I dont believe it matters what tires were on your EV. These are the 16" Michellins. The fax says nothing about the Dunlops or the winter program. It doesn't even ask for a VIN#. It just has a check mark box for the year 01,02,03.

· Registered
2,032 Posts
Re: (Macrabbit)

Let me get this straight... I can order 3 *sets* of 4 tires apiece for $150 per set?
Holy cow, that's a great deal. My last set of tires was nearly $150 a tire and that was wholesale!
I'll be calling the dealer asap!
Az

· Registered
1,125 Posts
Re: (AzBarber)

Quote, originally posted by AzBarber »
Let me get this straight... I can order 3 *sets* of 4 tires apiece for $150 per set?

That's what I understand -- 12 tires for $450 if you want! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
669 Posts
Re: (J_Westy)

WOW!
Let me get this straight - you can buy 3 sets of MicKy's at a VW dealer for $450.00????
Is this just for 2001,02,03 Eurovans - or can us dishovelled T3 (Vanagon) owners with 16" rims get on the deal too? That is a great deal and quite rare for VW for sure!
I just got back for Colorado rich Syncro country so I'm late on the news.
I think VW vans are strictly a guy kinda vehicle (no offense), everytime I've let a woman drive a T2,T3..... something bad allows happens. The first time- my girlfriend borrowed it, my 1970 VW Bus deluxe caught fire because she drove it up a huge hill in 4th.......... those were the days.......... payback was quite enjoyable though.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.