VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
2,002 Posts
Re: (quality_sound)

USA map will work in an EU unit and viceversa... but it is not worth losing the rest of the USA features and capabilities (Sirius, HD Radio, Bluetooth Audio, different AM/FM channel spacing) and not capable of using some EU features (free traffic routing).

· Registered
2,002 Posts
Re: (quality_sound)

Quote, originally posted by quality_sound »
Did something change? When the 510 was first available overseas a few guys brought them over and had to hack the crap out of the disks to get them to work.

Two things: first, there was no USA DVD maps available at that time, thus a custom USA DVD has to be created (that's what I'm using until I get the real VW DVD) and second, those first units were in fact USA units and not Euro (including mine).
The issue is that Euro maps can be loaded in a USA unit and viceversa, however don't expect full navigation features as the way the Euro maps work is slightly different than the USA maps' (something like the issues of the Euro MFD2 vs. the USA MFD2).
So it is not worth to get an Euro version to use in the USA...

· Registered
2,886 Posts
Re: Will a european rns 510 work in the US? (runnin9z)

Quote, originally posted by runnin9z »

Dang for that price id just do and Alpine indash screen and have all the features that wouldn't work on that thing in the US. Plus it would probably be cheeper.
Sure its not OEM, but at the end of the day it works, and thats the main thing.

In a word, no. The screen is a grand and it comes with NOTHING. Add $700 for the BBII if you want BT, and navi. Now add $60 for the bypass module. Another $80 for the PAC wiring harness to retain CAN functions. Another $100 for the PAC steering wheel control boxes. Oh, but the SWCs won't work correctly and if you program the track up and down buttons for the Alpine the MFD will change since it can't separate those functions from the SWC functions and then you STILL can't have preset up/down or you lose track up/down. You get a freebie on the iPod adapter since the W505 has a USB and a Full-Speed input but no matter what, you'll NEVER get a built-in HDD.
Basically, since the prices have dropped a bit on the 510, it's not as big of a price difference anymore. It's one of the reasons I'm thinking of moving from the W505 to a 510.

· Registered
823 Posts
Re: Will a european rns 510 work in the US? (blakjetta)

Let me throw in my experience buying from Steve. I got one of the RNS-510s he listed. AFAIK he doesn't have any more. Mine came as promised and was well packaged. I got it all hooked up all seemed to be working until I tried to eject the DVD I put in it. It was hanging up and making grinding noises. I contacted Steve to see what he would do to make it right and he attempted to blame my burned DVD and then tried to claim that I rebooted the device too many times (the RNS-510 boots everytime the car sits for more than 20 minutes). He told me to file a claim with Fedex (which since I had already signed for the package probably would have gone nowhere). Left pretty much high and dry, I decided that I had nothing to lose and pulled the unit and started taking the top cover off. Fortunately for me, the fix was simple, the DVD drive wasn't exactly aligned with the DVD slot and the metal front plate had a slight bend in it that was preventing the DVD from clearing the slot. I was able to make a slight adjustment to the mounting tabs of the DVD drive and straighten the slot. Now all works flawlessly. Do I think it happened in transit? Not sure, no obvious indication of outside damage. Might have happened in transit from his supplier in Germany, not sure. Might have happened during manufacture.
Bottom line, It's a calculated risk. Steve will deliver on what he says, but based on my experience if you run into an issue with the unit, you're on your own. If you need/want the piece of mind of a VW parts warranty, you might be better off buying from a dealer. He doesn't have anyway to test these, so if a bad one gets through, someone might get stuck, hard to say.

· Registered
2,002 Posts
Re: Will a european rns 510 work in the US? (rickerbr)

Quote, originally posted by rickerbr »
Let me throw in my experience buying from Steve. I got one of the RNS-510s he listed. AFAIK he doesn't have any more. Mine came as promised and was well packaged. I got it all hooked up all seemed to be working until I tried to eject the DVD I put in it. It was hanging up and making grinding noises. I contacted Steve to see what he would do to make it right and he attempted to blame my burned DVD and then tried to claim that I rebooted the device too many times (the RNS-510 boots everytime the car sits for more than 20 minutes). He told me to file a claim with Fedex (which since I had already signed for the package probably would have gone nowhere). Left pretty much high and dry, I decided that I had nothing to lose and pulled the unit and started taking the top cover off. Fortunately for me, the fix was simple, the DVD drive wasn't exactly aligned with the DVD slot and the metal front plate had a slight bend in it that was preventing the DVD from clearing the slot. I was able to make a slight adjustment to the mounting tabs of the DVD drive and straighten the slot. Now all works flawlessly. Do I think it happened in transit? Not sure, no obvious indication of outside damage. Might have happened in transit from his supplier in Germany, not sure. Might have happened during manufacture.
Bottom line, It's a calculated risk. Steve will deliver on what he says, but based on my experience if you run into an issue with the unit, you're on your own. If you need/want the piece of mind of a VW parts warranty, you might be better off buying from a dealer. He doesn't have anyway to test these, so if a bad one gets through, someone might get stuck, hard to say.

Good to know...

· Registered
823 Posts
Re: Will a european rns 510 work in the US? (M3Tech)

Quote, originally posted by M3Tech »
Good to know...

Plus side is I've seen the inner workings of the RNS-510 and a hard drive swap is trivial. 6 T-8 screws are all it would take to get to the drive cage. Someday I may try to find a ruggedized (laptop or automotive) drive bigger than 30GB.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.