VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Banned
4,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...and therefor get you into boost quicker? just curious. im about to put in a stg 3 clutch with a 10lb. FW.
thanks!!!

· Registered
271 Posts
Re: will a LW flywheel help you rev quicker? (BIGGEE TALLS)

Yes. Lower rotating mass means less work the engine has to do in order to accelerate. As you probably have heard, a flywheel stores energy. The heavier the flywheel is, the more energy it has stored. However, that energy didn't just come out of nowhere. The heavier the flywheel, the more work the engine has to do to rotate it and accelerate it.

I believe it's been said that each 1lb reduction of the flywheel gives a similar effect to 4lbs reduction of bodyweight.

· Registered
3,588 Posts
Re: will a LW flywheel help you rev quicker? (BIGGEE TALLS)

Quote, originally posted by BIGGEE TALLS »
...and therefor get you into boost quicker? just curious. im about to put in a stg 3 clutch with a 10lb. FW.
thanks!!!

yeah i have a 10 lb fw also.... its great. Some chatter but i could care less...

· Registered
16,177 Posts
I have the VR6 clutch, G60FW combo. disengaged the engine revs really quick! In gear, not much difference honestly.

· Banned
4,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (-Khaos-)

so im guessing the engine will slow down quicker too (according to newton's first law of mechanics)?

· Registered
7,852 Posts
Re: (BIGGEE TALLS)

Quote, originally posted by BIGGEE TALLS »
so im guessing the engine will slow down quicker too (according to newton's first law of mechanics)?

i dont think so it actually falls quicker due to the less inertia keeping it spinning. Thus usually when first time going from a heavy to LW flywheel its a bit jerky bc people are shifting at the same speeds as before and rpms are dipping lower then before making a rough engagement.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.