VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the deal:
I'm getting into surfing and plan to purchase a big longboard for learning. I'll primarily use my 2001 GTI for transporting it - I have the Yakima Q-Towers setup.
Yakima's phone rep said it should work fine, but it seems like it won't be that stable, since the load bars are fairly close together.
Has anyone rack-mounted a surfboard on their GTI? If so, send pics if available. Many thanks-

·
Registered
165 Posts
Re: Will an ~8' surfboard fit on a 2001 GTI w/ a Yakima setup? (MFC_driver)

How close together are they? I have a Jetta and I regularly carry my 9'-6" on top with no problem. I have put my friends 12' on top with no problem. Just have to strap them down tight. In all the years I have been surfing, I have put many boards on cars and never had one come off. We put eight boards on my friends car with yakimas and took a 3 hour trip with no prob.
Just strap your board down tight and possibly move it back on the racks some so you dont catch so much air under the front of the board. Enjoy surfing, there is nothing like it.
Later,
Robert

·
Registered
258 Posts
Re: Will an ~8' surfboard fit on a 2001 GTI w/ a Yakima setup? (amarshall)

quote:[HR][/HR]Get a shortboard, it'll fit better and you won't be stuck riding a plank[HR][/HR]​
you can't learn on a shortie
mfc_driver: i had no probs with my 7'8" using a soft rack, so i'm sure a yakima would handle it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.