VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to a dealer last week and noticed that the new cabrio have the same dash as the A3 Generation VDubs, how much moding does it take to put a newer style OEM radio into my 97 Jetta to replace my old one??? Also the 98+ jetta have the newer radios, what is needed to do this????

·
Registered
7,433 Posts
Re: Will an Mk4 OEM Radio fit into an Mk3 Jetta???? (coolguy112)

Its going to fit but wiring it may be a "little" tricky. You'll have to check where all the pins are so they all match up. Lastly you'll want to make sure that "K" wire is disconnected as you don't want any weird signals messing with the cars electronics.
For what its worth guys, don't bother . Get an aftermarket deck and you'll have something quite a bit nicer.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Re: Will an Mk4 OEM Radio fit into an Mk3 Jetta???? (Lexi)

VW even made an adapter harness for the newer generation radios to plug directly into the harness of my 1980 Rabbit! Remember the old-style DIN speaker connections (one pin, one spade, in pairs)?
I have a Premium III system in my old Rabbit (wide narrow display), plus the factory CD changer. Had to do it, you know...my wife laid claim to the new Passat. They have an alarming propensity to do that.
I deal with the factory radios every day, as well as aftermarket. I had a choice of the III or IV systems, but the earlier one looks very cool in the A1, and it's pretty rugged. I got burned out on the flossy aftermarket...obsolescence every six months gets old...and the newer Tokyo By Night gee-whiz displays BELONG ON A GAMEBOY, not my dash, thank you. I have driving to do.
If you have any questions or problems with the project please feel free to e-mail me...
Bobby
P.S. Regarding a full Monsoon system, this task is much more involved. It requires harness components that are part of the A4/B5 main harness, plus the amplifier assembly...and matching speakers. If you want some horsepower, look into a subwoofer amplifier first...

[Modified by VW Bobby, 11:22 PM 4-8-2002]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.