VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2017 Accord coupe crashes and bumps on every pot holes on the road, and there are many around here, with interior and rear deck area rattles accompanying the harshness.

It comes with 235/45/R18 tires. They look nice and all, but I would gladly trade off for better ride.

Question is, will downsizing help? I am thinking to downsize to 215/60/R16 and, in process, reduce the weight by getting some reasonably light weight wheels

Thoughts? Will it drastically affect braking/handling/steering response?

Google picture for clicks

·
Just Milking my Carrot in the Honda break room.
Atlanta, GA ~ Honda
37,415 Posts
Question is, will downsizing help?
In short, yes it will help with the ride. It sounds like you need much more tire between yourself and the road, and the best way to accomplish that, while keeping the same OD is to go with a smaller wheel. At that point, the biggest limiting factor is whether or not the wheel fits around the front brake caliper.

·
Registered
Lifted Prius, Lifted G37
12,912 Posts
What kind of tires are on it now? I swapped the 235/45 18 RE92s or whatever came on my old Accord for A/S 3s, and they had a significant negative impact on the ride quality and noise. So you could try a less performance-oriented tire, but then again, it'll never be as compliant as more sidewall. Plus used 16s with tires are probably less expensive than new 18" tires. And you'll likely see improved MPG.

·
Registered
39,517 Posts
I remember taking the smallest wheel they had for our 2015 EX, which was a 17". I think the base 4cyl came with 16" IIRC. The brakes are the same between the models, so that 16" should fit.

As Metallituby said, make sure you just get the same total diameter when it's all said and done. That 215/60 is as close as you are going to get.

·
Registered
8,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The car comes with 16 inch spare and so I figured that would work.

·
Registered
982, F22, E88, etc.
6,108 Posts
Question is, will downsizing help?
Yes. Going from a 45 to a 60 profile should be quite noticible at filtering road imperfections and sharp stuff. It won't help as much on big impacts though which the suspension mostly handles.

Will it drastically affect braking/handling/steering response?
Drastically? No, no, and yes. Marginally? Yes, yes, and yes.

Also, as others have said, different tires can ride quite different as well. So if you want to balance the loss in steering response you might also consider a touring-oriented tire on a 17.

·
Registered
2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
22,942 Posts
Since car comes with a spare tire I'm assuming it's not riding on run flat tires? Although they've improved over the years, by default they are a bit stiffer than regular tires which will of course impact ride quality.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Absolutely. I downsize the wheels on all my cars to what is the minimum needed to clear the calipers (15" on my FiST, 17" on my WRX/GTI/GLI). Every time, the ride gets far, far better - coupled with getting higher quality tires as well. You lose some turn-in but that is more than offset by the car's ability to handle bad roads (which means everyday public road driving). Car feels better too, acceleration is improved. I loathe big wheels.

If you go with a quality 17 inch wheel and tire setup, should ride much better as a compromise. Depending on how aggressive you drive your Accord, Michelin Primacy MXM4 are a good touring tire. If you get a set of 16s to run dedicated winters, you will then have a terrific combo.

·
Registered
194 Posts
If anything you will get a better ride; to what extent I couldn't guess. I rather doubt you'll notice a significant difference in any other area unless you drive very hard. A major upside will be protection of your tires and wheels against potholes and other hazards. You may find replacement tires are less expensive as well.

I bought my wife a new CUV a year ago and had the dealer swap the 20" wheels out for a set of the 18" that the base model came with. To me, the large diameter wheels are pure looks on most cars, with many downsides and no discernible positives. This is especially true of cars and wagons like ours that have no performance capabilities.

·
Registered
'21 RS 5
13,836 Posts
YES YES YES. Do it. Small wheel with bigger sidewall will HUGELY change the ride quality. Most cars today have wheels which are much too big.

·
Premium Member
6,457 Posts
Short answer yes, but that is a substantial jump. If you do any sort of highway driving that will be significantly noticeable at speed.

I'd look into these first:
1. confirm you don't have runflat tires (in fact, what type of tires are on there now? brand/model)
2. What are the tire pressures set to? It's possible the last shop over inflated the tires and they are rock hard
3. See if it's feasible to fit a tire with more sidewall on the wheels you already have.
4. If you still want to change wheels, I'd look for 17 in options, not 16, and certainly not that narrow 215 you mentioned.

·
Registered
80 Caddy, 88 Cabby, 91 Jetta TDI, 15 GSW TDI, 19 Tiguan
24,903 Posts
Huge difference in ride comfort between 18" and 16" wheels in my experience.

·
I’m not a loser. I’m a winnah!!
40,646 Posts
We are talking about a car that may have been on the road for almost 5yrs now. I’d look long and hard at the suspension.

·
Registered
8,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The tires I have don't have run flat. They're Falken PRO G5 A/S at 33 psi.

·
Just Milking my Carrot in the Honda break room.
Atlanta, GA ~ Honda
37,415 Posts
We are talking about a car that may have been on the road for almost 5yrs now. I’d look long and hard at the suspension.
Not from Texas. This is anecdotal, but Honda struts don't wear out. They fail, but they don't slowly get worse over time.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Dont know if the coupe is sprung stiffer than the sedan but drove a new 2015 sport when new and felt it was pretty damn smooth for riding on 18s

·
Premium Member
11,051 Posts
I downsized in my GTI and never looked back. I hated the way it rode with 18's. Went with 17's with a slightly larger than suggested sidewall and love it. No noticeable degradation in any kind of performance.

·
Registered
Lifted Prius, Lifted G37
12,912 Posts
Why we put such low profile tires on an Accord for anything other than looks is just dumb.
I mean, they did elevate the look of the 9th gen. The 19s on the current Accords are awful though. They just don't fit the car. Then again, neither do smaller wheels.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts