VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it currently doesn't burn any oil at all. drips some. has about 240,000 km. will it be safe to redline? generally it runs really good. just a bad clutch

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Re: will redlining my car do it much harm? (mobile363)

Yea, I was wondering the same thing. I always drive my car around town about 40 mph in just 1st gear and it raps out at about 7.5k.
Is this bad on the motor? I just don't like to shift, so that's why i stay in first

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Re: will redlining my car do it much harm? (gti250hp)

Quote, originally posted by gti250hp »
Is this bad on the motor? I just don't like to shift, so that's why i stay in first

Yes yes, the good 'ol Italian tune up!
heh.

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
Re: will redlining my car do it much harm? (dianalynnxk)

I regularly bounce my tach needle off the 3/4 full mark of the gas guage
think of it this way: Driving at 6000rpm's for 1 second is like driving at 3000 RPM for 2 seconds, or at idle for 6 seconds. Think of all that rush hour traffic that you're just sitting there... redling is good, it cleans out the carbon

·
Banned
13,344 Posts
Re: will redlining my car do it much harm? (88Jetta)

Quote, originally posted by 88Jetta »
Driving at 6000rpm's for 1 second is like driving at 3000 RPM for 2 seconds, or at idle for 6 seconds.

*scratches head*

I always put my revs up into the 5's - with my engine setup the power hit's about 4 and ends about 5900.

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
Re: will redlining my car do it much harm? (vduBen)

Quote, originally posted by vduBen »

*scratches head*

I always put my revs up into the 5's - with my engine setup the power hit's about 4 and ends about 5900.

hehe
peak HP at 6700.... only goes down 3hp at 7200
peak torque from 4500 to 6k
needless to say, I need to rev

·
Registered
1,672 Posts

Don't know about yu guys but mine cuts off at 6800.... and because I have that I know I am safe to redline.... but 7500 on 1st.....the car should be screaming by now?

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
Re: will redlining my car do it much harm? (H2Zero)

My 16v has a chip in it that raises the rev limit among other things
stock it was around 7000-7200 rpm redline (this is cise-mot, don't know if that was the standard limit or if mine was a factory oddity)
add a chip and it's 7800+ rpm

the car sounds quite nice at full on WOT
musik to my ears

·
Registered
1,152 Posts

In neutral, my car will peg the tach out at 8k.
I hit redline in it at just about every 1-2 upshift since I only drive it for fun anymore.
It's going to grenade one of these days, and revving the piss out of it is just my way of making sure it's a catastrophic (entertaining) failure.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Re: will redlining my car do it much harm? (stroudcoheavy)

to warm my car uo in the morning i just bounce it off the rev limiter for about 3 mins then she all warmed up

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Re: will redlining my car do it much harm? (wolfsburgdub)

I don't think it's particularly harmful, but it will not last as long the harder you drive it.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Re: will redlining my car do it much harm? (wolfsburgdub)

Quote, originally posted by wolfsburgdub »
to warm my car uo in the morning i just bounce it off the rev limiter for about 3 mins then she all warmed up

hahahahaha, that's the funniest sh!t ever... much better then what I said earlier

1 - 13 of 13 Posts