VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Re: Will the 03 Van be all new? (dennett)

From what I hear the New Microbus will be replacing the current Eurovan. Since it is still a concept, I imagine we will have a facelift new version ( like the Passat ) before we see the New Microbus in 3-4 years.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts

My hope is that since the new SUV and the T5 are supposed to be based on the same platform, we may get a new AWD van in N.A.
My dream? 150 hp TDI with 6 speed, AWD, dual locking differentials, and a real Westfalia full camper interior. Bring it!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Re: Will the 03 Van be all new? (Mr Wolf)

I second that!
I hope to get a EuroVan MV with the Weekender package (a great race weekend tow vehicle, as I mentioned in one of my other posts). A EuroVan with a 150-hp TDI, gobs-of-torque, 6-speed, 4-Motion, and excellent mileage would make it ideal.
My only fear about the new Microbus is that it will be all style, with no utility.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Re: Will the 03 Van be all new? (Scott Koschwitz)

IF the Microbus replaces the Van I will howl at the moon for a month and then move back to new guinea. The new little bus is rumored to be based on the golf minivan that will be released in a couple years. A van based on the GOLF?

I just accepted the fact that VW went to front wheel drive with the EV!

·
Registered
428 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]My hope is that since the new SUV and the T5 are supposed to be based on the same platform, we may get a new AWD van in N.A.
My dream? 150 hp TDI with 6 speed, AWD, dual locking differentials, and a real Westfalia full camper interior. Bring it![HR][/HR]​
You and me both, my friendly moderator. Although it would be very expensive...
Az

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Re: Will the 03 Van be all new? (Az Barber)

Well, if you consider that a Vanagon Syncro Westfalia in the later years (say post 89) in good shape will run you $20K, plus another 6 to 10K for a TDI conversion, you have a $30K 10+ year old van.
After all, they said the price point for the new Microbus doo-dad was $35K USD.

·
Registered
51 Posts

I read in a German Magazine that the introduction of the T5 has been postponed until 2003. The T5 is not the Microbus but the next generation EuroVan (Caravelle and Transporter). If it will ever be imported into the US remains to be seen. There has been no decision if the Microbus will be built. According to German reports, Germans don't like it, just like they don't like the New Beetle. I have also heard that the old 93 EV (5cyl.) will be built in Mexico soon.
VW_Fahrer

·
Registered
8 Posts

I asked the same question here a few weeks ago. Having read the replies and some stuff in German I found on the internet, I am personally fairly sure that the '03 Eurovan will be the same car as the '02 (perhaps they'll finally throw in a CD player ...). Looks like the T5 Eurovan is more likely to be introduced in Germany in '03 (and not in '02 as was speculated earlier this year) and that the Microbus (yawn!) is not ready for production yet. My prediction: we will see a T5 as a '04 model in late '03 - still no TDI or diesel. Not quite sure if the Microbus will ever come. FYI, I have seen the first '02 Eurovan MV Weekender at a dealer in NJ. The car is in blue metallic which to my surprise looks pretty cool. Nevertheless, in my opinion, white is still the best color for the Eurovan.

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
Re: Will the 03 Van be all new? (ProRechtsfahrgebot)

I have a friend who works for VW and just went to a meeting about the new cars coming out. He said that the Microbus is coming out in a 2003 model year and will be replacing the Eurovan, he also said the Microbus is going to be available with the camper package. We all know news changes so who knows what will happen. I for one have had many aircooled buses and am looking to get another camper. I LOVE the Eurovan but I really think I may purchase a microbus camper if it surely comes.

·
Registered
542 Posts

I heard from a salesman at the local dealer, who seems to be the guy they send to all the seminars and such, that DOT laws requiring side curtain airbags for all passengers may kill the EuroVan in the US after 2002. At least the Weekender and MV may be particulary difficult and cost prohibitive for VW to adapt to the US specs because of seating configuration. Is this at all grounded in reality or is it VoA/dealer hype to try and move EuroVans faster?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Re: Will the 03 Van be all new? (dr.orange)

quote:[HR][/HR]I heard from a salesman at the local dealer, who seems to be the guy they send to all the seminars and such, that DOT laws requiring side curtain airbags for all passengers may kill the EuroVan in the US after 2002. At least the Weekender and MV may be particulary difficult and cost prohibitive for VW to adapt to the US specs because of seating configuration. Is this at all grounded in reality or is it VoA/dealer hype to try and move EuroVans faster?
[HR][/HR]​
This has to be a load. The Westfalia is a conversion, just like any of the American van conversions... do you think all those vans are going to have side curtain air bags for the rear seats?
This air bag crap is getting out of hand.
Az

·
Registered
542 Posts
Re: Will the 03 Van be all new? (Az Barber)

I hear you, man. Maybe a driver/passengers could be exempt of having to have airbags if they wear a fat-suit.

As far as whether or not the '03 will be all new, I hope they keep refining the T4 and release the Microbus. Though, the EV has been a pretty long run. +/- 9 years.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Re: Will the 03 Van be all new? (dr.orange)

EV is older than that. I saw it for the first time in May of 1989 in its passenger Caravelle version. It was right in front of me at the border crossing from West Berlin to DDR. Already then, it impressed me with the vast amount of cargo it could carry. East German customs officers spent about 45 minutes to an hour unloading, searching, and loading it again. They had much easier time with my rented 2 dr Opel Cadett.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.