VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Re: Will the "Heron" 1.6L head fit on a 1.8 block (RD)? (dohc)

It doesn't have enough oil return holes. The basic desgn is the same. If you put it on a 1.8 there wouldn't be any combustion chamber. And the heron pistons have a smaller bore. Plus good luck finding one.

·
Registered
10,608 Posts
Re: Will the "Heron" 1.6L head fit on a 1.8 block (A1Rocco)

I had a good close look at a Heron head recently there may be some advantages to using a that head IF you can find the you can find the right pistons. The valves seats are even with the surface of the head, this arrangement results in better port shapes than the standard head, particularly on the exhaust side. Also, this arrangement results in less shrouding of the valves. The big downside of the Heron head is that it limits your cam selections, you must use cams which have no or at least very small lift at TDC. http://www.eurospecsport.com sells new ones with big valves. However, whether the money you'd spend on that head would be better spent elsewhere is a whole other question.

[Modified by ABA Scirocco, 10:08 PM 2-5-2003]

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Will the "Heron" 1.6L head fit on a 1.8 block (A1Rocco)

quote:[HR][/HR]The JH head with the RD block plus a 2mm shave will net a compression ratio of 11.3:1 that should be enough for most poeple.[HR][/HR]​
Really? That much? When I calc. it out, it worked out to be 10.5:1. The RD only runs 9:1 stock, I don't see how this is possible with only a 2mm shave.
The JH block and head go to 9.8:1 with a 2mm shave.

[Modified by dohc, 10:23 PM 2-5-2003]

·
Registered
8,341 Posts
Re: Will the "Heron" 1.6L head fit on a 1.8 block (RD)? (dohc)

No pistons exist. That head is made to use a specific dish type piston. They were only made for the 1.6 and as I remember only to 81mm maximum. It was a good motor but VW (and the rest of the world) must see a better reason for the chamber to be in the head and not in the piston.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
Re: Will the "Heron" 1.6L head fit on a 1.8 block (art.clemens)

quote:[HR][/HR]No pistons exist. That head is made to use a specific dish type piston. They were only made for the 1.6 and as I remember only to 81mm maximum. It was a good motor but VW (and the rest of the world) must see a better reason for the chamber to be in the head and not in the piston.[HR][/HR]​
pistons exist but are hard to find in non-standard sizes. They were available up to 82.5 for use with the 1.7 crank. It does have better port angles than a bathtub head. I have used a 1.8 bottom end with JH pistons hogged out and still had 12:1. BTW RD(and HT) is 10:1.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Will the "Heron" 1.6L head fit on a 1.8 block (vwpat)

quote:[HR][/HR]I have used a 1.8 bottom end with JH pistons hogged out and still had 12:1.[HR][/HR]​
With the "Heron" head is what you mean right?
quote:[HR][/HR]BTW RD(and HT) is 10:1.[HR][/HR]​
Not according to the Bible...I mean Bentley

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Re: Will the "Heron" 1.6L head fit on a 1.8 block (ABA Scirocco)

quote:[HR][/HR]The big downside of the Heron head is that it limits your cam selections, you must use cams which have no or at least very small lift at TDC[HR][/HR]​
Can't imagine why this would be true. You would, of course, need to have some valve clearance pockets in the piston, but that's nothing new.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
Re: Will the "Heron" 1.6L head fit on a 1.8 block (dohc)

quote:[HR][/HR]I have used a 1.8 bottom end with JH pistons hogged out and still had 12:1.
With the "Heron" head is what you mean right?
BTW RD(and HT) is 10:1.
Not according to the Bible...I mean Bentley[HR][/HR]​
yes. The Bentley does have some errors but is the best out there. yes, all years.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Will the "Heron" 1.6L head fit on a 1.8 block (vwpat)

quote:[HR][/HR]Yes. The Bentley does have some errors but is the best out there. yes, all years.[HR][/HR]​
Crap...now I have to redo my calcs. I was kinda impressed when I saw that the RD had only 9:1 and still made 102hp

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.