VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately Mercedes has blown the competition out of the water with its AMG horsepower take over. However, the VW R series seems to be one generation behind it's competition. The R32 is a last year production of a MkIV body style and is anywhere from 30-70 horsepower down to the competition (STi/Evo). The R36 set to arrive lets say in 2006 and is rumored to be 260-280 horsepower, by that time the competition will upgrade its new models to over 300 horsepower so again the R36 will be behind the curve.
It appears that it's main partner in ownership, Audi, will always prevent the R series of cars to equal the competition because making an R with too much power will step on Audi's toes.
Phil

Modified by I love pizza at 10:21 PM 6-30-2003

·
Registered
552 Posts
Re: Will the R series always be one generation behind the competition? (I love pizza)

I predict as Vw moves forward, it will mirror what is seen in the Nissan/infiniti brand offerings.
Take the G35 coupe vs. the Nissan Z and the Murano vs. the Infiniti Qx4
They play with the same power plants, yet have a separate intent...
While Nissan seems to focus on the entry level hipster moving on up...Infiniti is marketed toward a different demographic with a higher standard and income.
Dsg technology is evidence in that it is offered in both the TT and R32 with the same Engine Specifics. Perhaps this type of shared relationship is a hint as to what is in store..
Be prepared to see the 2005 B6 Passat making noise and numbers, maybe not as large as the S4 but for sure with the same intent..Pushing power up with an R badging and new interior and engine technologies..
Pick up the new Car magazine to read a little about the next gen..
Just guesses, only time will tell..
Hopefully not tooo much time..
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Re: Will the R series always be one generation behind the competition? (I love pizza)

Quote, originally posted by I love pizza »
Lately Mercedes has blown the competition out of the water with its AMG horsepower take over. However, the VW R series seems to be one generation behind it's competition. The R32 is a last year production of a MkIV body style and is anywhere from 30-70 horsepower down to the competition (STi/Evo). The R36 set to arrive lets say in 2006 and is rumored to be 260-280 horsepower, by that time the competition will upgrade its new models to over 300 horsepower so again the R36 will be behind the curve.
It appears that it's main partner in ownership, Audi, will always prevent the R series of cars to equal the competition because making an R with too much power will step on Audi's toes.
Phil

Modified by I love pizza at 10:21 PM 6-30-2003

Who cares, that's why VW fans have huge aftermarket abundance.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts

Not sure how Mercedes fits into this...directly comparing VW to Chrysler...errr Mercedes
seems like a mistake. Another way to think about it...if VW is behind all the competition...can anyone point to a hatchback from the competition with the specs of the R32?
Point being that comparing cars is tricky. Comparing a hatch to a 4-door sedan is fine, but they just aren't the same car. Some may argue that hatchs have more panache. Some may say that hatchs are for kids.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Re: Will the R series always be one generation behind the competition? (gtiness)

Hot hatchs are not as abundant here in the US as in Europe. The R32 has a good bit of competition over there. The Ford focus RS, think that is it, Alfa Rameo, forget the number, honda hatchback type R. I know there are others but the hot cars to compare the R32 with are the focus and alfa. This all boils down to why people compare the Evo and the STI to the R32 in the US, the R32 car segment is not really in the US. The STI and EVO are the "most" similar to compare to the R32.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Re: Will the R series always be one generation behind the competition? (Sutt)

That's VW for you. I try not to bash VW but this is on the absurd side. They offer the top of the line tech in an end of a line design. The R32 will be out (in the US) after they introduce the next generation of Golfs. You get the latest of VW's technology rapped in last years package. For those of us who are waiting and waiting for the R32, we won't even be done with our first year payments before the model golfs will be rolling. May be VW will skip the R32 and give us the MKV R36 instead as the first run of the MKV to hit the shores
(yah that will happen).

·
Registered
18,889 Posts
Re: Will the R series always be one generation behind the competition? (vwski)

its going to be the same race that Audi and BMW have with the S4 and the M3. E36 had 250hp i believe? S4 came out with 250hp....E46 dropped 333hp on the table, new S4 came out 340 of V8 power (and finally beat the M3 in every magazines comparo). The next M3 will most likely top 400hp and so on and so on.
VW likes to start late for some reason (toureg is a pefect example, comes in late but waxes the competition) but this can be seen as though we learn from others "mistakes" per say. the mkV will top the current import competiton but then they'll top us again, and then we'll top them again, and then......
The Japanese have been known for performance upgrades coming sooner than thier competitors, hence they're recognition in the tuner market.
And another comparo....S6 couldnt get anywhere near the M5, but now the RS6 makes it look dated, and rumors are abound that the next M5 will dangle 500hp in front of prospective customers....
A typical game of cat and mouse.

·
Registered
224 Posts
The US isnt the main market for European manufacturers. We get the leftovers. Japan needs the US market a helluva lot more than the Euro makers do. Plus the Euros are snobs and have always considered us the country cousins anyway lol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts