VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do appologize if i overlooked this information somewhere else. Anyway i am looking at getting a set or 2 of jl audio xr650-csi 6.5" 2 way component speakers and the dilema is will these infact fit into my jetta? Will i need to do any modification to make them fit? ANY help would be great and thanx in advance

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Re: Will these work.....er fit? (crewvr6)

Most aftermarket speakers will not be direct fits for the OEM speakers. The OEM speakers have thick mounting plates that raise the speaker out from the door by 1 3/4" (I think). Plus the OEM speakers are 6 3/4". There are plastic speaker adapters out there that make mounting aftermarket speakers easy but the plastic resonates and doesn't sound the best. Most people make trim rings out of 1/2" or 3/4" MDF that will mount to the door. These will have openings cut in them for the 6 1/2" speakers so they fit perfect and the wood is more solid reducing resonance. Also keep in mind the depth of your speakers. There isn't much space behind the speaker opening on the metal door skin and if the speaker isn't raised enough off the door, you can have problems with the window mechanism hitting the speaker.

Modified by DJKeebler at 5:45 PM 5-20-2004

1 - 2 of 2 Posts