VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A mysterious scratch just appeared on my S4, and I'm trying to figure out if it's something I can have buffed out. I've read the rule of thumb where if it catches your fingernail that it won't, but it kind of feels borderline...I can feel it with my fingernail, but it it doesn't fully catch. Any guesses as to whether a good detailer could deal with this?

·
Registered
707 Posts
looks like it should but out pretty easily. worst case it's easily filled in with some clear coat touch up and then they can wet sand it down to level it and then finally buff it. have had to do that on several times on our van thanks to the kids. can't tell at all. this one looks relatively good though. I charge $45/hr to fix such things so that gives you a vague idea at least on costing.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Thank you! And I have a dumb newbie question...once you buff something out it's a permanent fix, right?
Something like that, if it is catching at all is going to need a decently heavy compound or polish to level the clear coat around it first. If it can be just "buffed" out with a compound/polish it should stay clean.
But if it barely catching your nail leveling it out should be done easily enough. So polish it out, buff with a new clean microfiber towel, a little quick detailer and take a look-sie and catch a feel.
To get an even better idea after you've buffed, take a flashlight to it to see if you still see it.

If you can still feel/see if after the polish/buff you may need to fill in the scratch with color, if its not too sever just clear coat. Let that all cure for a day and then polish/buff again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts