VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just got the condenser off my Golf, and it was a real battle getting the two AC lines disconnected. I suspect all the parts were the original factory ones from 2008 and they've never been apart since being connected 14 years ago, because the hoses were almost fused to the condenser and did not want to separate. I had to basically chisel them apart, which caused this sort of damage to the machined faces (this is the coupling from the old condenser, but the flat faces on the hoses look similar):

Crankset Bicycle part Rim Automotive tire Automotive wheel system

Now I thought that the actual sealing was done by the O-rings down inside those holes, and not the flat machined surfaces I had to chisel apart, so will it be OK to attach the old hoses to the new condenser? Or do I actually need new hoses with perfectly smooth faces as well?

·
Registered
2019 GTI Rabbit Cornflower Blue DSG PP LP CWP
169 Posts
If its that badly damaged, you might need a few (?) spacers to put the sealing o-ring section at the correct depth.
Can the parts be bolted together with no rocking? That will be a big problem.
In fact the right side looks like no smooth area to insert the connector without damage.
At the very least your going to have to dress the faces to remove plus material.
I would get a used junkyard condenser with decent connectors if at all possible

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you misunderstand - that's the connector block I cut off the old condenser. It's just junk, but I took a photo for illustrative purposes. I have a brand-new condenser, but I was planning to re-use the existing hoses, which have similar damage to the flat faces.

·
Registered
2019 GTI Rabbit Cornflower Blue DSG PP LP CWP
169 Posts
No,
Similar damage to the other face will may also damage the o-rings.
A pic of the repair part will be required if it is also damaged this bad.
I'd probably use new hoses if the ends' area is damaged at all.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Want to do it once replace condenser & hoses, condenser is done and if the hose ends look like that they are done as well.
But the actual sealing is done by the O-rings down in the receptacles, yes? There's no damage to the parts of the hoses where the O-rings sit, and obviously the new condenser doesn't have any damage on its connector block.

I'd prefer not to replace the hoses if possible. Buying both new would cost almost the same as the the new compressor and condenser have cost me.

·
Registered
10,481 Posts
You did not post a picture of the hose fittings and if the block surface is still machined flat or all messed up and will cause the two machined surfaces not to sit flat. Aftermarket hoses/lines are available and cheaper than dealer. You could try some Nylog on the O rings put the system back together pull a deep vacuum and see if it holds and then charge by weight if you have all that equipment.

·
Registered
Black 2019 35th GLI M6
1,094 Posts
Sand the mating faces down smooth, assemble system. Pull vacuum on system and wait 15 minutes (or more). If vacuum hasn't decayed, you're good to backfill with refrigerant.

·
Registered
Black 2019 35th GLI M6
1,094 Posts
You did not post a picture of the hose fittings and if the block surface is still machined flat or all messed up and will cause the two machined surfaces not to sit flat. Aftermarket hoses/lines are available and cheaper than dealer. You could try some Nylog on the O rings put the system back together pull a deep vacuum and see if it holds and then charge by weight if you have all that equipment.
I see you've said basically the same thing I did. Vacuum will be the tell all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts