VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Re: Will you order ESP on your 20th Anniversary? (DominicanGTI)

i havent read anything about it... but chances are its something like Electronic Slip Protection or something like that, just a guess. but some sort of traction controle? correct me please if i am mistaken http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
11,304 Posts
Re: Will you order ESP on your 20th Anniversary? (DominicanGTI)

electronic stabilization program, there is a long explanation for what it does exactly do a search on it. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
Re: Will you order ESP on your 20th Anniversary? (fitch)

quote:[HR][/HR]electronic stabilization program, there is a long explanation for what it does exactly do a search on it. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif [HR][/HR]​
Same thing Audi has had for a couple of years.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Re: Will you order ESP on your 20th Anniversary? (GTIdaho)

i live in colorado and granted i will never pull it out of the garadge when it snows but sometimes we get those freak snow storms that just pop up so it might come in handy for me.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Re: Will you order ESP on your 20th Anniversary? (planga)

I'm not going to vote as I'm not planning on buying the car but I will have to say get ESP!!! The system works extremely well... And this is to save your butt from slipery conditions.

·
Registered
7,587 Posts
Re: Will you order ESP on your 20th Anniversary? (Pocket Empty)

it's a system that uses the brakes to keep you on the road. it uses your steering input and the cars arc it's making, and if they're not the same it uses the brakes to make it the same. funny thing is, it's not like you'll be able to just say, "I want Jazz blue and ESP", and easily find it. what comes from the factory, will come from the factory and everyone will have to find what they can. if you have a choice, get it.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Re: Will you order ESP on your 20th Anniversary? (M this 1!)

ABSOLUTELY GET IT! its WAY worth the extra money... also...if you ever want, you can turn it off by default and on when you push it on. Its really cool and helps not only in snow and rain, but alot on dry ground when cornering hard, its an awesome system.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Re: Will you order ESP on your 20th Anniversary? (planga)

Without question, get it. You can read about it - at length - elsewhere on this site. It's very sophisticated, and I think you can turn it off if you want. I wish I had it on my car.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Re: Will you order ESP on your 20th Anniversary? ('97Trek2.0)

Hi guys,
ESP is now standard throughout all UK cars. I would have thought that the anniversaries would have had it. It's a small button next to the hazard light. When it is off you get a round yellow light which shows on the speedo, and when it is on and it kicks in it flashes at you to tell you it's working.
ESP stands for Electronic Stabilisation Programme and basically cuts the power or adjusts braking to the back wheels, I think it also includes the traction control and some other nifty bits.
In the manual it actually recommends you to switch it OFF in snowy / icy weather because once it senses you have wheel spin, as you probably will have, it will cut the power to the wheels and you will end up going nowhere.
I've had mine flash at me a few times (accelerating in wet weather from standing start, going round corners really fast etc) and you can really feel it working sometimes.
It's absolutely fantastic when going round bends as the car stays planted to the road, but be really careful nonetheless.
HTH
Andoni

·
Registered
331 Posts
Re: Will you order ESP on your 20th Anniversary? (andoni)

ESP is worth it... helps prevent under or oversteer by selectively braking just one wheel. Might even help insurance premiums or resale value. Same system, Bosche I believe, is found on Porsche. Porsche promotes it big on their web site and literature. To help those stockholders ... charge $1,200 for it on rwd carrera, mucho more than a GTI... VW volume buying

·
Registered
28 Posts
Re: Will you order ESP on your 20th Anniversary? (GTiMark23)

from the audi link listed above:
"The ESP program uses other driving aids: the anti-lock braking system (ABS), electronic brake-force distribution (EBD), the electronic differential lock (EDL) and the traction control (ASR) system, and is permanently engaged. "
if it's not defeatable, i don't want it

·
Registered
182 Posts
Re: Will you order ESP on your 20th Anniversary? (andoni)

quote:[HR][/HR]Hi guys,
ESP is now standard throughout all UK cars. I would have thought that the anniversaries would have had it. It's a small button next to the hazard light. When it is off you get a round yellow light which shows on the speedo, and when it is on and it kicks in it flashes at you to tell you it's working.
Andoni[HR][/HR]​
Zephyr said you cant turn ESP off and isnt the button besided the hazards the ASR button? ASR is only a piece of ESP. ASR can be turned off.
Z

[Modified by Zerbe, 9:35 AM 1-29-2003]

[Modified by Zerbe, 9:35 AM 1-29-2003]

·
Registered
22 Posts
Re: Will you order ESP on your 20th Anniversary? (Zerbe)

Hi Zerbe, you may want to check with your dealership as all UK / European Mk4s come with a button to enable / disable ESP. I wouldn't have thought they would have changed the manufacturing and building process but then again i don't want to put my foot in it and be totally wrong

1 - 20 of 31 Posts