VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am almost 100% I have found the source of the rear wind intrusion that some of us are hearing. From day one, I have had a wind hissing noise from the rear door windows. After taking it to the dealer and them saying it was "normal", I have been on a mission to find the source of the noise. Well it is coming from a location that I never thought it would come from. After trial and error, I found it is coming in around that shinny black triangle part in the rear door. There is a gap between the rubber and that plastic shinny triangle part. I used shinny black pinstripe that I got from an auto parts store to cover the gap. I test drove several times at speeds above 65mph and did not hear the noise. Unless you were looking close, you'd never know the pinstripe was there. I hope this will help others correct this at least until VW has a TSB to correct it.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Is the gap wide enough to maybe "caulk" some silicone into?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I can confirm this is where the wind noise is coming from for mine since day one. I used the masking tape to tape over the gaps on the edge of that plastic triangle, then drove above 70mph. Now the cabin is finally nice and quiet! Thanks a bunch to OP for this!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Whoa! Great Find...

Is it possible you could put up a video on how to resolve it? I'm not that intuitive to figure out just how you placed the tape/pinstriping? We'd all sure appreciate your efforts.
THANK YOU!

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I wish I have never read this thread. Now thats all I hear. What is a factory looking way to fix this without VW being able to notice? And should we do this to both sides?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not sure when I will get time to do a video, but it is very simple to do.

Just cut the length of the gap from the bottom of the triangle to the top. Do that on both sides, then trim it at the peak (top of the triangle) where the 2 pieces of tape will overlap. Make sure you cover the entire gap all the way to the top of the plastic triangle leaving no gap exposed or you will still get noise. You will have an entire roll of pinstripe tape, so you can do it over several times if it doesn't work out the first try. I feel like the glossy black pinstripe tape is factory looking. I am VERY picky and that is why I wanted something that would look like it came that way. I did it on both sides because I also heard some wind noise on the rear drivers side as well. Plus I wanted both sides to match.

I hope VW does come out with an OEM fix, but until then I can live with this fix with no problems.

FYI: The picture above is with the actual pinstripe installed. I don't think it looks to bad at all if you ask me.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I'm going to see if me and the guys at work can come up with something today because no way I'm driving like this for the next X years. I work at a auto shop so hopefully 4 brains working on the same thing could figure something out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
unnoticable

Interesting. I read this yesterday and looked at mine this morning before work. My black triange seems to sit flush or even every so slightly below the level of the surrounding trim/moulding. Yours appears to be slightly higher (hard to tell in the pictures for sure), which might explain the added noise. I don't notice any wind noise, but then, I'm not in the rear seat ever either.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
The trim actually does sit level with the triangle. The problem is a slight gap between the triangle and the rubber. That is the part that I put the pinstripe on. My car was built in 2/12 so it is not an early build.

·
Registered
South Florida
5,783 Posts
Yeah I'm not talking about the area by the chrome either. There is a rubber gasket that clearly sits over this triangle piece all around it on my car. The triangle is inset under it, and does not stick out like on yours.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.