VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
21,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. First of all...
...Second, I searched for this...and posted on the MkII Forum as well (maximized coverage)...
During this current oil and filter change I thought I'd finally install the factory windage tray into our GLI 16v (1.8L) since I'm in the neighborhood. Got the torque specs on the 21x 10mm bolts, the tray, the filter, the yadda-yadda...I get to work..oil is out all is good...I start on the bolts on the RH side...so far OK till I get to the two little bastages next to the transmission. How does one get to them? I have a narrow wrench that fit into the groove but without enough room to move and the swivel attachment for our rachet won't fit in there.
So, does any one know what to use to get to those two little buggers? Am I approaching this incorrectly? Is there a DIY on this that I missed on the 'tex somewhere?
Thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
12,064 Posts
Re: Windage tray install question (flygliii)

If you have a wobble extention (in the 1/4" drive size and socket) they will fit, snuggly. Be careful putting them back, they can cross thread very easily. You could also drop the starter and loosen the bolts that hold trans and motor together and wedge them apart to get just enough room. They can be hard to get in/out with the trans attached.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
21,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Windage tray install question (ps2375)

Thanks! I had posted the same question in the MkII Forum and got one similar answer along with a teste one...
...Your answer is the clearest and I will now close that other one. I found a 1/4" drive 6" extension that I will try in the AM with a swivel head. I had tried the same with a 3/8" while it was still light out but they wouldn't fit. Next, I know I need to remove the oil pump or part of it and clean the sludge out of the pan...
Hey, thanks again!

·
Registered
2,867 Posts

if you want to make it a little easier the next time you do this job, go to the hardware store and get some allen head bolts for the oil pan. it might run you $15 for stainless, but its worth it when you go to take the pan off.

·
Registered
21,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Windage tray install question (NJRrado)

Someone had suggested that, similar to the MkIV set-up. However, HOPEFULLY...
...I only have to do this once, well, at least on this car...

Thanks!

·
Registered
21,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I found a flexible extension at Sears that worked perfectly!
Now the only thing before finishing is removal of the factory plastic baffle, correct? 3 bolts to remove the pump, take the plastic off, and I should be ready to install the new tray and pan...
Thanks again!

·
Registered
12,064 Posts

Do you have a baffled pan? The plastic baffle will unclip from the pickup and come off in one piece if you are careful. If your pan isn't baffled, I would seriously recommmend that you put it back on after you get the windage tray on. That baffle will keep the oil from sloshing AWAY from the pickup. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif And it is way cheaper than a baffled pan.

·
Registered
21,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote, originally posted by ps2375 »
Do you have a baffled pan? The plastic baffle will unclip from the pickup and come off in one piece if you are careful. If your pan isn't baffled, I would seriously recommmend that you put it back on after you get the windage tray on. That baffle will keep the oil from sloshing AWAY from the pickup. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif And it is way cheaper than a baffled pan.

Thanks for your reply!
My pan is not baffled and part of my asking was for that very reason, whether the plastic baffle should go back on or not. But, I still nned to remove the pump to remove the plastic baffle correct? Thanks again!

·
Registered
12,064 Posts

no, you don't have to remove the pump. It is clipped on the the pickup w/ 3 or 4 tabs. Gently push it up towards the crank and it should slideoff away from pump. you could remove it and the pump together, I think. Be sure to lube/prime the pump when reinstalling.(may not be as critical since pump has been used and has oil in it) I would crank motor w/o spark plugs before starting to be sure oil press builds up. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
21,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Aha!!! I knew there'd be way to do it without removing the pump! Thanks, I'll try this first, but I'm ready to remove the pump if need be.
I also forgot about the original gasket. Since the tray comes with that rubber, I'm assuming to remove the old one, especially since it's old. But, do I need any additional sealant or anything?
Thanks again!

·
Registered
21,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote, originally posted by flygliii »
My pan is not baffled and part of my asking was for that very reason, whether the plastic baffle should go back on or not. But, I still need to remove the pump to remove the plastic baffle correct? Thanks again!

Just figured out the answer to that one...
...So far so good.

·
Registered
12,064 Posts

you might be OK w/o sealant, but do you really want to pull the pan again if it does leak?
With the rubber gasket, I just used less sealant. I used the Dirko stuff, very high quality and it is what VW uses now on just about everything. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif (kind of pricey, but ya get what ya pay for)

·
Registered
21,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Dirko. Found some for $12.99 per tube online, not bad, especially if it is what VW recommends.
(edit: found a tube of Dirko two towns away...http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif)
Yeah, I 'd rather do it right the first time and be done with it.
Thanks again!
Another question, and this should be the last one...Those 20 bolts holding up the pan, will longer ones be needed? I thought considering the added thickness of the metal for the windage tray and that rubber gasket, it might be a good idea? What do y'all think?
Thanks again to all who have answered so far!

Modified by flygliii at 4:41 PM 5-17-2007

·
Registered
21,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote, originally posted by ps2375 »
the stock ones are fine. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif to you brother, thanks for your help! I was considering writing up and posting a DIY on this but I think you pretty much covered it for me!
I found the Dirko nearby for $19 a tube and will pick it up in the AM, in a different vehicle of course.
As a note, I took the two bolts for the pump out, removed the pump and tried as gently, evenly, and smoothly as possible to remove the plastic baffle, but the second retainer busted off. The rest went real easy though...guess I can't post it in the classifieds then, eh? And, the plastic seemed really brittle. Par for 18y and >170k miles, I reckon...
Thanks again!

·
Registered
276 Posts
i did the oil pan baffle on my car, it was the ****tiest thing id ever done, cuz those small ass stock bolts stripped so easily when reinstalling. i got longer bolts and it makes it so much easier and stronger. good luck with the install

·
Registered
21,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: (808gti16v)

Yeah, I was thinking new bolts from a car that actually came with them (or their equivalent) might be a good idea as well. I have the torque wrench to help, too...

·
Registered
21,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: (flygliii)

No, until tomorrow (Monday) while I wait for the bolts...
...I want to get this over with and get my baby back on the road where she belongs!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.