VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone come across rust in the window channel? I have the dash and windshield
outta my 82 right now and the bottom of the windshield channel is all rust, the lip is all broken up pretty much needs to be totally redone. right now im welding in pieces to fix under the lip but still now sure what to do about the lip. anyone ever fixed something like this?

· Registered
2,597 Posts
Re: window channel rust. (ineedacaddy)

if it was mine I think I would find a whole new cowling with the lip and all and just weld that in. maybe the junkyard has something that you can cut out nicely.
I'm not knocking the patchwork, cause I do that alot too, but you always chase rust and holes with patchwork...

· Registered
170 Posts
Re: window channel rust. (ineedacaddy)

i think its pretty common in these cars to have rust around the windshield. i just fixed some rust holes around mine before it got too bad. i was afraid of using my arc welder because the metal is so shatty so i just used JBweld since they wernt very big. id reccomend in your situation though getting a new cowl off possibly a parts bunny or something like was mentioned earlier.

· Registered
8,291 Posts
Re: window channel rust. (Supervan II)

back when i had aircooled bugs i always had this problem. it can be fixed by welding and body filler once all the rust is gone. but you have to remove the windshield to get to it. i'll be doing this in my truck next week. i'll let you know how it goes

· Registered
418 Posts
I just finished doing a little repair work on my 84 Jetta. I took the glass out and grinded out all the rust. There were only a few tiny holes so I used fiberglass. The car is not going to be a show car just an autoxer so I am not going for looks but wanted to slow the rusting process and keep out the water.
I was lucky with this Jetta as the holes were not on the windsheild sill just around the outer edges by the rain gutter.

If I had my time back I would have used some JB Weld because the holes were tiny and JB is alot cleaner to work with over fiberglass.
newfoundgti

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.